A park was proposed here as early as August 11, 1972 per the Everett Herald.
The Herald reported on April 3, 2002 that the area was saved from development.
The informal park became an official city park.
Per the Herald:
"Wiggums Hollow Park was named in honor of Arnold Wiggum, a former principal of Everett's Hawthorne Elementary School.
His sister, the late Margaret Wiggum Groening, was the mother of Matt Groening, creator of "The Simpsons" --
and the inspiration for blue-haired Marge."
Wiggum's Hollow Skate Park opened in 2008.
Labyrinth: (history needed).
Originally called Riverdale Park, the land was sold by the Everett Improvement Co. to the city in March 1917 for $10,000.
Six-year old Charles Dana True won the contest to name the park.
By 1924 work had begun on improvements and it became a tourist camp for the next four years.
The Works Progress Administration built the baseball diamond in 1938-40.
In the late 1970s, restrooms, playground and two softball fields were added.
It was named later for Senator Henry M. Jackson, presidential candidate and Everett's favorite son.
Architect: Harold W. Hall. Builder: Newland Construction Co.
Named for novelist Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-64), this $360,000 school replaced the
Baker Heights Elementary School.
First principal was Dorothea Carr.
Additions in 1964 and the 1990s increased its size.
Baker Heights Elementary School (1943-52)
This school was opened during war time in the federal housing project.
The "temporary" wooden structures lasted until about 2020 though.
Teaching was a challenge with fathers gone and mothers alone with their children.
Each room was heated by a single coal stove, and the bathrooms were chilly.
Ray and Ruby Campbell bought a house at this site, and tore it down to build this restaurant.
They opened their drive-in in April, 1962.
The usual burger, fries and shake was 80 cents.
In 1975, their daughter Debbie took over while Ray and Ruby enjoyed living in Arizona.
Later, grandsons Jeff and scott Doleshel managed the business.
Ray passed away the day after Christmas, 2014, Ruby five years previously.
Remodeled in 2020.
See also Herald article.
Safeway (1955-71, 1971)
There have been three Safeway stores in a two block area.
The first was on 19th and Broadway.
Second store grand opening Aug. 17, 1955 at 1715 Broadway.
It's very tall sign could be seen from a couple miles away on south Broadway.
1732 McDougall and 2113 18th next door were left on the southeast corner of the block, possibly holdouts.
Third, just 15 years later, is the present store.
That expanded store gobbled up the area where the two houses were.
These homes are some of about 160 homes that Developer
and his partner R.C. Allen built in Everett during the 1920s,
about half of which were located on Lombard, Oakes and Rockefeller between 13th and 15th.
They were saved, thanks to Steve Hager, and moved to Donovan Lane in 2006 to allow expansion of Providence Hospital.
See the Herald article for more on the story.
1205 Donovan Lane: House moved from 1333 Rockefeller Ave.
1210 Donovan Lane: House moved from 1334 Oakes Ave.
1211 Donovan Lane: House moved from 1321 Rockefeller Ave.
1217 Donovan Lane: House moved from 1317 Rockefeller Ave.
1220 Donovan Lane: House moved from 1310 Oakes Ave.
1223 Donovan Lane: House moved from 1306 Oakes Ave.
1224 Donovan Lane: House moved from 1301 Rockefeller Ave.
1228 Donovan Lane: House moved from 1316 Oakes Ave.
1229 Donovan Lane: House moved from 1318 Oakes Ave.
1231 Donovan Lane: House moved from 1305 Rockefeller Ave.
1232 Donovan Lane: House moved from 1328 Oakes Ave.
A smelter was constructed starting in 1892 to process ore from the Monte Cristo area mines and other local mines.
By May, 1892 work had started in the city promoted as the "City of Smokestacks".
For a few years, gold and silver ores were roasted, driving off the contaminants of arsenic and sulphur.
The Guggenheims, who had made millions making clothing, bought up numerous smelters throughout the world.
Their smelter trust eventually became the American Smelting and Refining Company (ASARCO).
They bought this smelter and much of the Monte Cristo mines and railroad in 1903.
Unfortunately the railroad was greatly damaged by floods and little was processed until 1907.
During that time, ores from South America, Australia, and New Zealand were processed.
Since they had another smelter in Tacoma, they closed the Everett smelter in 1910.
In later decades, the danger of the smelter site became better understood.
A huge cleanup happened in the early 21st century.
See Herald article, one of many stories about this project.
In 1892, the Barge Works School was built for $800 by W. J. Miller.
About 8 years later it was moved to this location and was known as the Smelter School.
Now apartments with a south-side addition, it still stands.