Self-guided walking tour:
National Historic District
While walking, note the street signs (brown) that signify this National Historic District.
Note: some browsers, like Firefox, will print this document in multiple columns.
Hewitt Avenue, Everett, Washington
Hewitt Avenue is the first major street of Everett.
It shows Everett's historical commercial trends,
and the importance of social and labor elements in the city's history.
The Hewitt Avenue National Historic District is a section of downtown Everett in Washington,
that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.
There are 42 buildings in close proximity, the highest percentage of historic buildings in the central business district.
It conveys the commercial and social history and development of the City of Everett
from the late 1890s through the late 1950s.
The early buildings are the commercial vernacular style, while later buildings are late 1940s and 1950s Modernism.
You can click any address button for a Google map.
IOOF Hall (1912)
The large three-story building has been altered at the storefront level
and replaced the original 1901 lodge for the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
National membership peaked over 2 million in 1920.
Goldberg Furniture occupied the building from 1941 until 1959.
A corbelled belt course divides the first-story base form the upper stories.
Regularly-spaced, rectangular window openings (seven each at the second and third stories) are divided by two-story pilasters,
and brick spandrel panels with a decorative geometric design are located between first- and second-story windows.
Two thin cast stone belt courses separate the third story from the tall flat parapet above.
A wider, flat band with a central peak highlights a simple escutcheon with the construction date -- 1912.
Salvation Army (1918)
This two-story building is faced with oversized bricks and there are two entries with original wood windows.
Simple decorative details include a crenellated cornice and sloped brick window sills.
Speaker's Corner (1916)
The northwest corner of Wetmore & Hewitt Avenues was the traditional spot for local soapbox orators,
and it was not until the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) began using the corner to protest the poor working conditions of shingle workers
that public speaking was outlawed on this corner.
A group of 300 IWW members ferried to Everett to support the shingle strikers in a rally.
There was a confrontation with the police at the waterfront when the IWW members tried to land and shooting broke out.
Five workers and 2 deputies were killed, and at least 30 were wounded.
This November 5, 1916 is known as the "Everett Massacre".
Why Greenberg name?
This three-story building with light brown brick has lost its cornice (and "dragon" adournment)
but retains fine original architectural style.
Original features at the first story on the east facade show the "rustication" formed by insetting every seventh row of brick.
A stone belt course at the sill line of the second story distinguishes the tall base of the building from the upper stories.
At the upper portion, tall pilasters capped by brick arches form window openings,
with brick spandrels inset below the third-story windows.
Tripartite wood windows are set into relatively deep window openings.
Built for $30,000, it was occupied by Burnett Bros. Jewelers from 1932 into the 1990s.
Brownell Building (1899)
This two-story corner building has been stuccoed over on the second floor.
It was constructed for Francis H. Brownell from Rhode Island, the first lawyer in Everett.
His business largely consisted of commercial and corporate law.
The building was later occupied by Brodeck Clothing Company and Fisher's Shoe Store.
Pacific Hardware Company was in the building from 1928 to 1930, followed by Helen Davis Shop (women's furnishings),
H & L Sport Store, Gwynne's Family Shoe Store, and Wold Men's Shop.
Peoples National Bank/US Bank (1959)
This Modern bank is on a corner where north and west facades feature glass curtain walls with Roman brick on the east and south.
In 1987, Peoples National Bank became US Bank.
Some interior work on this building listed the architect Osterman Associates.
Apollo Theater (1915)
This relatively tall, one-story brick building opened as the Hayes Theater on December 20, 1915.
Two years later it was transformed into the Apollo Theater, which was a major downtown movie theater for a decade,
closing June 19, 1927.
In 1932 it was the Central Cigar Store.
The building has a simple storefront system and is characterized by its multi-light transom panels
and projecting sheet metal cornice with dentil band below.
The multi-light transom continues from the primary east facade around to the alley facade on the north, a unique detail.
Central Building (1925)
Architects: Morrison & Stimson.
This six-story building is finished with light brown brick and cream terra cotta with Gothic Revival details.
The tall first story forms a base and is clad with cream terra cotta.
The main body of the building is faced with light brown brick in running bond and features pilasters between pairs of windows.
Above the sixth-story windows is a wide band of encrusted terra cotta.
Capping each pilaster is additional Gothic detailing, including terra cotta finials that project above the brick parapet.
The upper-story windows are non-original.
Constructed for approximately $150,000, it was typically occupied by
dentists, lawyers, insurance agents, and other professionals.
Commerce Building (1910)
National Register building. Architect: Benjamin F. Turnbull.
This five-story building is located on the NE corner of Hewitt and Rockefeller Avenues.
Constructed for the Bank of Commerce.
The primary south and west facades are characterized by a tripartite composition of base, shaft, and cap,
with the base formed by the first story, the shaft by stories two through four,
and the cap consisting of the fifth story plus a prominent cornice with decorative brackets.
The building is faced with light brown pressed brick.
Windows are paired between pilasters and have large wood pivot sash with a glazed transom above.
Single windows at each end have a brick jack arch above.
Hodges Building (1923)
The first story of five is concrete, with storefronts at the north (Hewitt Ave) facade.
Upper stories are faced with white brick and a prominent sheet metal cornice.
Prior to its conversion to apartments, city directories indicate tenants such as
dentists, chiropractors, watch repair, real estate agents, beauty shops occupied the offices.
Horseshoe Saloon (1909-1910)
After the original Horseshoe Saloon burned in August 1909,
bottling works proprieter A. L. Van Valey had the building reconstructed in 1910,
and later that year a Local Option prohibiting liquor sales was passed, following by the state dry law.
By 1933, when liquor became legal again, the building was occupied by the Eagle Club Room (card room),
in place until 1950.
Note the name in hexagon tiles in the sidewalk.
This two-story brick commercial building has a storefront at the first story and a band of five windows at the second story.
The first story has been altered but the building is characterized by end pilasters (at the outer edges of the facade);
decorative narrow wood pilasters between the second-story windows; a line of corbelling above the windows;
and by the tall, shaped brick parapet with cast stone coping.
Fobes Building (1901-1902)
Architect/Builder: Howard S. Wright, contr.
At the first story are two storefronts, each with a central flush entry and transom band above.
Between the two storefronts is an entry that serves stairs up to the second floor.
A cornice band separates the first and second stories.
The second story features a row of eight tall, narrow rectangular window openings.
Each opening contains a one-over-one-light double-hung wood window with glazed transom above.
Finish materials are tan and grey brick, and the windows have stone sills.
Corbelling above the windows provides a cap to the facade.
Long-term early tenants included the White Company (notions outlet) and Childs and Christiansen Hardware.
Later occupants included a shoe store, cycle and key shop, and sporting goods.
Star Theater (1909)
The original mosaic tilework entryway greeted movie house guests.
Investor W. G. Swalwell, leased it to Alexander Singelow, an early newsreel cameraman in the region.
Singelow operated a movie house until 1927, when it was converted to a Castle Drug which served into the 1940s.
Occupied by Granstrom Sporting Goods (1955 to 1971).
Watson's Bakery (1910)
This two-story building is finished with light orange pressed brick.
A projecting cornice with dentils beneath it caps the building.
Early tenants include the Chicago Outfitting Company and Hotel Savoy.
By 1932 the building was occupied by Quality Food Market (meats), Watson's Bakery and Delicatessen, and Merchants Hotel.
Watson's Bakery remained into the 1950s.
McCrossen Building (1894)
Tragically, this building and one life was lost in a fire in late 2012.
Forty people were displaced who lived here.
The brick commercial block included extensive brick corbelling above the windows.
Built for local grocers Thayer and McCrossen, the building briefly served as a post office in the 1890s.
Brick was supplied by the Everett Electric Brick Company.
Occupants over the years include Everett Parlor Furniture Manufacturing Company, Sherman Louis (clothing),
Manila Hotel, and Jack's Menswear.
McCrossen's name and the year 1894 was prominently displayed on the upper facade.
Whitehouse Public Market / Dolloff Building (1923)
Operated as the Whitehouse Public Market into the 1930s, a 1933 water permit identifies it as the Oakes Avenue Market.
In the 1950s it was occupied by Dolloff Motor Company (used car division) and the storefronts were remodeled.
The building now represents an intact remodel from the 1950s.
Van Winkles Interiors moved in 1973 and occupies the building today.
Sharpless Barber (ca. 1902)
The western storefront has been altered with a more contemporary aluminum storefront system.
In the 1930s the building was occupied by a restaurant.
Everett Sport Store (card room) was located in the building by 1941 and later became Everett Sportmen.
Evergreen Building (1902)
Everett Register building.
This brick building features a south facade composed of a wood storefront system at the first story
and faced with cream brick at the second story.
Occupants over the years have included a clothing store, Love's Grocery, shoe stores and the Evergreen Tavern.
Mitchell Hotel / Cascadia Apartments (1903)
Architect: A. F. Heide.
The three-story building is prominently located on the northwest corner of Hewitt and Lombard Avenues.
Spiderweb art glass tronsoms remain above some of the storefronts.
As the major hotel in the city for two decades, it was designed for William and L.J. Mitchell,
owners of the Mitchell Lumber Company of Everett, during the recovery from the 1893 depression.
The building was planned as a six-story building and equipped with elevator service (which operates today).
The 76 guest rooms contained modern conveniences and were furnished luxuriously.
Engravings displayed in the corridors were from the personal collection of the Mitchell brothers.
The upper stories are currently occupied by apartments.
Turn left (north) on Lombard for about half a block.
Great Northern / BNSF Railway & Tunnel (1900)
Running east-west, this railway tunnel extends underground through Everett's business district for seven blocks,
from Oakes Avenue on the east to West Marine View Drive on the west.
It is a concrete tunnel containing a single line of tracks.
The Great Northern Railway reached Everett in 1893, with service from the East Coast
and continuing to its western terminus in Seattle.
Today BNSF owns and operates the tunnel, which is also used by Amtrak trains.
Labor Temple (1930)
This eclectic two-story building is located just north of the commercial downtown strip, facing east on Lombard Avenue.
The primary east facade features a prominent central entry reached by steps.
A cast stone surround frames the entry and reads "Labor Temple" above the opening.
A one-story modern addition was constructed on the north side of the original building.
Built during the Depression, the building replaced an earlier Labor Temple.
Turn left (west) on California, then right (north) on Oakes.
VFW Post 2100 (1946)
This Modern building has a horizontality emphasized by its Roman brick veneer, flat marquee above the the central entry,
and a single wide rectangular window opening on either side of the entry.
Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post 2100 was chartered April 25, 1931 in Lake Stevens, Washington.
The post moved to Everett in 1946.
Records indicate interior remodels in the 1960s and a rear addition in the 1970s.
Normanna Lodge (1947)
The prominent, recessed central entry is emphasized by rounded corners and a projecting porch roof.
On either side of the entry is a rectangular punched opening filled with glass block.
Originally constructed with a second story which was destroyed by fire in the late 1960s.
As they arrived in West Coast cities, Scandinavian immigrants organized literary and social clubs.
Everett's "Den Norske Forening" first built a meeting hall here in 1904.
The front doors were replaced in 1969.
It continues to be occupied by the Sons of Norway as Normanna Lodge.
Challacombe & Fickel Funeral Home (1923)
Everett Register. Architect: Benjamin F. Turnbull.
The Colonial Revival building is characterized by its hipped roof and dormers, red brick finish,
entry porch supported by Tuscan columns, frieze band with dentil course,
and twelve-over-one-light double-hung wood windows.
Original owners Nicholas B. Challacombe and Charles H. Fickel formed a partnership in 1919.
Challacombe had been the county coroner for four hears,
as well as serving as president of the state board for examiners and embalmers.
Fickel was a well-known mortician and also served as county coroner.
Walter Precht joined the business in the mid-1930s.
He and his wife Ruth lived above the business, which she managed during the war.
The Precht family operated the funeral home until 1984 and owned it until 2007.
National Guard Armory (1920-21)
The original armory structure has been covered by later alterations in the Stripped Classical style.
The two-story building has a slightly T-shaped footprint.
Everett Fire Station No. 2 (1925)
National Register of Historic Places.
Designed in a simplified Italianate style with a square hose tower at the south end of the east facade.
Finished with buff brick veneer and cast stone "blocks" surrounding four large bays with overhead doors.
A central entry has a glazed wood-paneled door wih a decorative shield above.
Roof is red-tiled.
Fire Station No. 2 is the oldest and most significant of the city's extant fire stations.
It was built in a period when motorized fire equipment was replacing horse-drawn equipment.
The building was the site of the fire chief's office and the center of the city's firefighting system.
Go another block west to Rockefeller Avenue, then turn right.
Everett Sheet Metal Works (1915)
This two-story brick commercial building has a storefont with recessed entry at the southern portion of the west facade.
The building is finished with brick laid in Flemish bond.
Four paired windows are on the second story.
Everett Sheet Metal Works occupied the building from at least 1932-1959, with the owner living above.
Newland Building (1950)
The low-scale, one-story Modern commercial building is characterized by its Roman brick finish around an expansive glazed storefront.
An integral flat awning shelters the storefront, and the parapet above is faced with corrugated metal.
The original occupant was Scott Sheet Metal Works.
In 1959, Jensen's Draperies moved in and in 1987 Graber Insurance Company.
2815 Rockefeller Ave (1925)
This two-story vernacular commercial building is finished with light brown brick.
Occupants included Globe Paint & Wallpaper Company, Mutual Benefit Club of Washington, Technocracy Inc.,
and Belden Electric Company.
2816 Rockefeller Avenue (1928)
Occupants included Typewriter Exchange, Bowling Drives (bowling alley), and Everett Poultry Company.
The primary east facade of this vernacular one-story commercial building is faced with red brick laid in running bond.
The glazed wood storefront system with a central recessed entry and a glazed transom band above appear original.
A row of soldiered brick runs above the storefront opening,
and two very slightly projecting header courses provide simple detail to the parapet, which has a shaped sheet metal coping.
Mehan Block (1925)
This two-story commercial building is faced with light tan brick.
A grocery store sold goods from 1925 into the 1940s, first as Skaggs United Store from 1925-27, changing later to Safeway.
The Salvation Army thrift shop served the public into the 1950s.
Until 2004, Betty Spooner's dance studio was upstairs for 78 years.
Morrow Building (1925)
The original occupant was Globe Paint and Wallpaper,
but by 1930 Ernest Dickman had a restaurant in the space and the Nankin Cafe was upstairs.
Reportedly, a speakeasy called the Frontier Club operated upstairs during prohibition.
The Snohomish County Welfare Department was located in the building in the mid-1930s to early 1940s.
Two long-term Everett businesses have occupied the Morrow Building -- Groger Paint and Wallpaper Company (1944-64)
and Joe's Loans (1965-90).
The building is named for former owners Ed and Betty Morrow.
Everett Printing Co. (1907)
Everett Printing remained in the building into the 1970s, and Bill's Blueprint has been the occupant since the mid-1970s.
We hope you enjoyed your walking tour of the Hewitt Avenue National Historic District!
For more tours, see Historic Everett walking tours.
Write us below if you have comments, additional history we should include, or questions.