Historic Everett home page

Riverside Neighborhood self-guided history tour
Everett, Washington

Riverside

Note: some browsers, like Firefox, will print this document in multiple columns. Some streets have been moved to their own web pages to improve performance. For example, Hewitt, Everett, Baker and Broadway have been moved to individual pages. So you'll have to print those separately.

Welcome to Riverside Neighborhood! Riverside is the oldest neighborhood in Everett, Washington -- since 1892. The official boundaries of Riverside are between Pacific Ave and 19th St, and between Broadway Ave and the Snohomish River.

Take the Riverside street quiz! Answers are from this website.

Riverside neighborhood boom times

When the Swalwell and Mitchell plats were filed in the very early 1890s, Riverside started developing at a rapid rate. Soon the eastern industrialists moneys poured in and Bayside eventually became the hot seat of the central business district. Riverside developed quickly again in the 1900-1910 decade, and the mid 1920s. Most homes were built in 1892 or those later two boom times.

Riverside Streets Index

Riverside is a very large area. Pick a street of interest, and while walking compare the old photographs with what is here today.

For other Everett walking tours, see Everett walking tours.

E-W N-S
Pacific Ave E Grand Ave
Wall St Cleveland Ave
Hewitt Ave Harrison Ave
California St Summit Ave
Everett Ave Highland Ave
26th St State St
25th St Chestnut St
24th St Walnut St
23rd St Maple St
22nd St Pine St
21st St Cedar St
Leonard Dr Fulton St
20th St Baker Ave
Victor Pl Virginia Ave
19th St Rainier Ave
McDougall Ave
Broadway
US 2 I-5

Parks Index

People Index

Pacific Ave

The origin of Pacific Avenue name is unknown. Before about 1900, addresses listed in the Polk Directories refered to streets, but did not use numbers. Pacific is not quite parallel to Hewitt for most of its length, except at each ends. In Riverside, it's parallel east of Fulton St.

Wall St

Wall Street was probably named after its namesake street in New York City (as was Broadway). Curiously, Wall Street is not parallel to Hewitt Avenue. In fact, the streets north of Hewitt are on north-south and east-west lines. But there is a angle between Hewitt and Wall of about 2 degrees. The blocks between them get shorter towards the east, and the city planners decided that Wall would end at McDougall.

2120 Wall St can be seen in the First Methodist photo. It was the headquarters and maintenance facility for Everett City Lines - N. A. McSweyn mgr. in 1950. Larry Wold research

Hewitt Ave

See Hewitt Ave web page.

California St

Oscar Sandstone Duplexes (1915)

The three adjacent houses here are examples of early 20th century duplex residences. These unusual, remarkably intact homes are excellent examples of the gable-front vernacular form embellished with popular neoclassical and Arts and Crafts decorative details. Note the kneebrace supports for the roof overhang, typical of this era. Also the full-width porch with heavy entablature, supported by partial height square wooden columns. A Palladian window decorates the front gable and each of the gable dormers.

Oscar Sandstone applied for water here June 9, 1915. The Sandstones were the first occupants of all three homes (also spelled Sandsten).

Other nearby California houses:

Everett Ave

See Everett Ave web page.

26th St

26th Street

25th St

25th Street

24th St

24th Street

23rd St

Friske's Barber Shop

See also 2314 Summit, another Friske's Barber Shop location around the corner. Jack O'Donnell collection

22nd St

21st St

Leonard Dr

Entire street part of Riverside Historic Overlay zone. This overlay attempts to keep the historic character of the neighborhood through zoning guidelines. Note that the Ready Land Company area, from Walnut to Baker and from 19th to 21st, is turned 90 degrees from the rest of old Everett. This is probably because of the half block between Fulton and Baker. You can get more houses in the neighborhood if Fulton is removed, and the main residential streets aimed east-west.

Leonard

Riverside Historic Overlay research

Victor Pl

See Leonard Dr for the origin of the Victor street name.

Entire street part of Riverside Historic Overlay zone. This overlay attempts to keep the historic character of the neighborhood through zoning guidelines.

Victor

Riverside Historic Overlay research. A number of men worked for the Great Northern Railway.

2802 Victor Place, (c. 1970). Snohomish County Assessor archives

19th Street

The southern part of 19th between Virginia and Walnut is part of the Riverside Historic Overlay. This overlay attempts to keep the historic character of the neighborhood through zoning guidelines. Curiously, the house numbers between Baker and Cedar are different on each side of the street, both skipping a block. Perhaps the numbering on the south side is part of the Ready Land Company platting scheme.

19th St

Riverside Historic Overlay research

East Grand Ave

There are two Grand Avenues in Everett -- an avenue hugging the bayside bluff, and another hugging the bluff near the Snohomish River. Grand Ave maps.

Mitchell Land Company Addition

The eastern-most part of Riverside was platted by the Mitchell Land Company, filed on Sept 23, 1891. This was the third plat in Everett, just weeks behind the other two, and precedes the main plat of Everett. It was the heady days of the land rush in the hopes of a great industrial port. Originally the area was the homestead of Neil Spithill, who was half Native American, half Scot.

The partners of the companay were R.M. Mitchell (entreppreneur), John E. McManus (Everett Herald, Bank of Everett, senator), and A.F. McClaine (banker). McManus built a mansion at 2528 East Grand Ave.

Originally platted from "Washington Ave" (now called Summit Ave) to the river, and from Everett Ave to 24th St with homes, the area east of the Grand Ave bluffs were replatted in 1901 as The Industrial Addition. Canyon Lumber Company built their mill in the Industrial Addition in 1906-07.

The neighborhood started as a fashionable neighborhood, but evolved into a working-class enclave with a sprinkling of management class residents. Within a one-mile radius were several lumber and shingle mills, the Sumner Iron works, and the Everett Ave bridge.

The Mitchell Land Company homes were well documented by David Dilgard and others in 1990. This is available at the NW room in the Everett Library.

2600 block of E Grand

2612, 2606 and 2602 East Grand in the 1950s. photo by Robert P. Robison

From Mitchell Land Company survey

McManus Mansion/Jacob Anthes house (1893)

McManus house from the Brown Engineering Company's birds-eye view of Everett (1893). photo by Robert P. Robison
Known as the Anthes Mansion by 1950 when this picture was taken. photo by Robert P. Robison

Architect: Frederick A. Sexton

John McManus ran the Bank of Everett, the Everett Herald, and was secretary of the Mitchell Land Company. He was also a state senator. This two-and-a-half-story frame house with basement cost $10,000 to build. At the time it was the most expensive and impressive homes. It was began in the spring of 1892, completed April 1893, and was the first large mansion in Everett. As it was completed, the panic of 1893, the worst depression in the U.S. up until then, caused McManus' bank and newspaper to fold. McManus soon left Everett and didn't stay in it for more than a few months.

The original house was Queen Anne and Shingle styles. The two story round tower is balanced by a one story round atrium. Originally it had two large porches. There is a large skylight over the main stairwell. The upper story has 7 full size rooms surrounding a large hall. The ground floor has a kitchen, pantry, dining room and conservatory, plus a parlor, music room, den, and sewing room. That floor had 45 windows and 22 doors! Herald Mar 10, 1892, Mar 9, 1893, Sept 11, 1902. Times Dec 28, 1892.

About the turn of the century, it was the rectory of Trinity Church.

For many years, this house was known as the Anthes House. Jacob Anthes came from Germany at 14 and lived on Whidbey Island in 1880 when he was 15. He founded the town of Langley, operating a store, being postmaster amongst other things. At 43, he moved to Everett in 1908 and bought the house. During World War I, the family was careful to hide their German books in the attic. At that time, all the female members of the house contacted the terrible Spanish flu. In the early 1920s, Anthes' foot was pierced by a molten steel bar. During the Depression, the family fortune started slipping away, but they survived it, growing vegetables and canning them. The family had the house up through at least 1943. Many of the homes across the street were built for Anthes and used as his rental properties.

2500 block of E Grand

From Mitchell Land Company survey

2400 block of E Grand

2428, 2420?, (2416 was not built?), 2412 East Grand, c. 1950. photo by Robert P. Robison

From Mitchell Land Company survey

2204 E Grand (1910)

photo by Robert P. Robison

Cleveland Ave

2600 Cleveland block

Nelson Chapman house (1892)

2602 Cleveland on June 29, 1892. Everett Public Library archives

From Mitchell Land Company survey

2500 Cleveland block

Ella Bowditch house (1892)

2526 Cleveland on June 17, 1892. Everett Public Library archives

From Mitchell Land Company survey

2400 Cleveland block

From Mitchell Land Company survey

Jack O'Donnell collection

Harrison Ave

See Cleveland St for the story of how Harrison St got its name.

Note how Harrison Ave does not curve like East Grand and Cleveland Ave.

Sexton House (1892)

This house was designed by Frederick Sexton for investor C.H. Boynton. Sexton himself lived here in 1900-03. William A. Benson lived here from about 1917-32. Herald: Aug 11, 1892. Hawthorne Vol I, p 505.

Frederick Sexton: Architect of Riverside (1851-1930)

Born in England in 1851, he arrived in Illinois as a child of eight. He studied architecture in Chicago and Minneapolis. By 1889 he was in Tacoma, and he arrived in Everett in the summer of 1891, living in a tent.

His first large commission was Rudebeck Hall on Everett Ave, followed quickly by the Rice-McFarland Building at 3211 Hewitt, and the Hotel Everett, all wooden structures long gone. The brick-veneered Brue Building completed March of 1892 still stands at 3010 Everett.

Sexon's ornate Bank of Everett at Hewitt and Pine, Feb 1892, was the town's first structural brick building. Early that year he designed an impressive house for banker/newspaperman John McManus at 2432 East Grand.

In 1892-93 Sexton designed several important schools. The Monroe School was Everett's first brick school, a splendid assemblage of Romanesque and Byzantine elements, now gone. Other similarly impressive schools in Mukilteo, Marysville, and Lowell are also gone.

Sexton's work often reflected the exuberant, even reckless spirit of the "Riverside Boom". Many of his buildings were conspicuously ornamented in a manner suggesting the Picturesque Eclecticism popular a decade or two earlier. More than any other architect, he seems to have embodied the energy and flash of Everett's boom town phase.

When the 1890s boom was emphatically ended by the Silver Panic of 1893, Sexton abandoned his family for a reckless and unsuccessful gold-hunting expedition to Africa. Though he returned to Everett at the turn of the century, he soon moved to Seattle, where he engaged in a successful practice for a dozen years. Upon retirement he gravitated to Puyallup near Sumner, where he was a gentleman farmer on a homestead with raspberries and asparagus until he died in May 1930.

Other Riverside homes included the Mitchell house that was on East Grand, the Swalwell house, and the Swalwell cottage still existing on Pine, the Tower block that was on Hewitt, 2602 Harrison, 2610 Harrison, the Swartout house on 26th.

Historic Everett 2008 calendar was devoted to Frederick Sexton

2600 Harrison block

William W. Goldsborough house (1892)

Jack O'Donnell collection

Major Goldsborough house (1892)

From June 18, 1892, another view of 2602 Harrison when it was very newly built. Everett Public Library archives

From Mitchell Land Company survey

2500 Harrison block

From Mitchell Land Company survey

2400 Harrison block

From Mitchell Land Company survey

Summit Ave

Summit Ave

This street was called Washington on the southern part of Riverside in 1892, but changed before 1902. Summit Avenue is possibly the highest point in Riverside, just barely higher than Baker and Virginia Avenues. Perhaps that's the origin of its name. It seems appropriate given the views of the summits of the Cascades from its namesake park.

Summit was a shopping area, at the edge of city at one time, look at 1940 Polk to get stores.

Rubatino

The Rubattino's lived in a house at 2711 Summit. Now you can see refuse trucks parked there.

From Riverside Remembers: Angelo and Theresa Rubattino were orignally from Genoa, Italy, arriving in America in 1885 or 1888. Their 20 day crossing of the Atlantic in rough seas was a tough trip. They were living in Newcastle where he worked in the coal mines, but his doctor told him to quit due to black lungs. Then he worked in the Monte Cristo mines. In 1907, Angelo worked in the smelter in Everett, saving money until the rest of the family could come. He worked 12 hours days for a dollar a day.

In 1908, Angelo and his son Henry worked for a scavenger business owned by Louie Fasce. They had two carts and four Dray horses. Occasionnally the horses would get away, running wild in the neighborhood dragging their harnesses. This worked up to 1920 when they got Fords. Sadie L. Swartz recalls her father trying to learn to drive, but he scared himself driving over a curb on Wetmore. After that he didn't drive.

In those days, garbage men were junk men too. They collected metals, glassware, etc. The garbage was hauled to Bayside, and barged out into Puget Sound and dumped.

Henry, Angelo, Tony Bertero and Louie Tobacco teamed up to form a business, then later Ed and Tom took it over.

2600 Summit block

From Mitchell Land Company survey

Grace Methodist church (1923)

The day before the church was opened on Feb 21, 1923. Jack O'Donnell collection

This church began as Summit Avenue Methodist Episcopal by Everett author Max Miller's parents, among others. The Millers ran a grocery at 23rd St and Summit Ave. The congregation reorganized in 1909 as Grace Methodist Episcopal and built the present building, dedicated Oct 21, 1923.

2314 Summit Ave (1945)

Friske's Barber Shop, late 1940s. See also 3411 23rd, another Friske's Barber Shop around the corner. Jack O'Donnell collection
A 1959 photo of the same address. Jack O'Donnell collection
1932 Summit: Northwestern Clinic and Sanitarium. Built 1909 for Dora Winaud???

1922 Summit

1922 Summit. Jack O'Donnell collection
1922 Summit. Jack O'Donnell collection

George and M.D. Hatchell owned this house in 1910 when the water was turned on. It had 7 rooms and 1 bath.

Summit Park (1971)

Riverside was covered with homes from the 1900-1929 era. The trench below cut a large swath through Riverside in the 1960s, splitting the neighborhood in two. Add more about park... With good visibility, you can see many of the Cascade Mountains. Be sure to see the sign (coming mid-2015) that describes local history and the distant mountains.

Highland Ave

Donovan House (1914)

House built for C.E. Hand, 1914.

Edward Donovan built about 160 cottage-style houses in Everett and Monroe between 1915 and 1931. There is a neighborhood now known as Everett's Historic Donovan District near Providence Hospital in the Northwest neighborhood, on Lombard and Oakes at about 13th and 14th Streets. When the hospital was expanded about 2006, many of those homes were destroyed. Some were moved to the newly designated Donovan Lane near the Everett Boys and Girls club and Hawthorne School.

In Riverside Remembers, his daughter Geraldine Donovan Matteson and son Dan T. Donovan recalls their father. He arrived in 1900 to work in Marysville at a large hotel/saloon. He moved to Monroe to work in the real estate business. The family would build houses, continually moving into new houses and selling the old houses. They lived in four houses in Monroe.

During WWI, he ferried cattle from Whidbey Island to Lowell. But by 1920 he returned to real estate, which is when he built most of the homes. You can see in the Donovan District that they have a distinctive style: cottages with gabled roofs, small porches, tiled fireplaces, and coved ceilings. The houses sold for about $4500 to $5000, not for a very large profit.

Donovan's real estate business folded during the Great Depression. After working for the Charles Erickson campaign for mayor, he becamse a city street supervisor. Edward Donovan died in 1937 at 62 years old.

Geraldine Donovan Matteson recalls in 1916 the snow piles drifted up to the second story. Her brother Tim jumped out of the second story window into the pile of snow, unhurt. In 1916, 1918, and the 1920s they had a cow and chickens. The cow was tethered where Garfield Park is now.

library has photo

Deaconess Children's Homes (1910 and 1929)

Deaconess Children's Home (1910)

A 1915 postcard shows some of the children at the orphanage, photo probably c. 1910. Jack O'Donnell collection
From the Everett Herald, September 25, 1937: the first Deaconess Home was converted to apartments. Jack O'Donnell collection

There are two Deaconess buildings across the street from each other. The first dates from 1910, the second from 1929.

More about Deaconess' history, from Riverside Remembers:



Deaconess Children's Home (1929)

Jack O'Donnell collection

Architect of 1929 building: Earl W. Morrison

The May 14, 1929 Herald announced a public program opening the new Deaconess Childrens Home as a major and joyful city event. Although the Methodist Church's Deaconess Home had served children and families since 1917 across the street, this structure was carefully planned to the latest modern standards to house and nurture children in need. On the 8-1/2 acre set of lots, this two-story brick faced structure employed the "cottage style" with six separate apartments each housing fourteen children, and each containing a dormitory, living and dining rooms, and kitchenette. Costing $46,000 it was supported by a city wide fund drive. The building was closed as a childrens facility in the early 1970s but remains today as a condominium.

Herald 40th anniversary article, Oct 12, 1949.
Several nearly identical houses near 1925 Highland.

State St

Washington Cooperative Farmers Association (1959)

The current building for the coop opened in February, 1959. Jack O'Donnell collection

In 1892 at this location there was a hotel, perhaps a saloon. Water records show it was on State and Hewitt on 7/15/1892 and 4/24/1893, called the Nord Cap Hotel. Proprietors were John Wahl and Nels Nelson. They both lived in the hotel too. By 1895-6 they were no longer listed in Everett, nor was the hotel name.

By 1914, the Sanborn Map does not show anything here. Perhaps the hotel burned down? We don't know much until 1939, when the Riverside Milling Company was there (see attached ad). They were also across the street at 2916 State. By 1941 it was the Washington Coop Farmers Association, and it appears to have had a similar business for the last 76 years! The named changed several times, including at least these:

2130 State, built by A.A. Blackman, 1905

Chestnut St

Chestnut Street is one of the tree-named streets in Riverside.

Chestnut Street is not continuous -- it's broken up by Garfield Park in the south, and Riverdale Park in the north (a block past the Riverside neighborhood boundary).

Walnut St

Walnut Street is one of the tree-named streets in Riverside.

Shell Station

The Shell station in this view, looking SE from Walnut St. It's still a Shell station. Gene Fosheim family collection

Check addresses in the field.

Gene Fosheim family collection

Rectory (1899)

Rectory moved to 2601 Walnut St Jack O'Donnell collection

This house was originally on 2621 Cedar -- the rectory for the Catholic Church.

Garfield Park (1932)

Garfield Park is a 5.6 acre community park in the Riverside neighborhood which serves approximately 2,000 homes. Garfield Park provides tennis, pickle ball and basketball courts, two baseball fields, a children's playground, restrooms, a Little Free Library, and a large open space for free play. We are home field for North Everett Little League. Walking and/or bike paths run throughout the park.

Garfield Park's colorful history began in 1931. The park was a wetland when the Riverside Chamber of Commerce purchased the acreage. They donated the land to the city to develop it as a playground for neighborhood kids. The city began work on the park in 1932 with the help of WPA laborers. Over the years the site has been used in a variety of ways; for grazing cattle, running bootleg liquor, and hosting circuses and political rallies.1

First proposed by the Lillian Stephens Women's Christian Temperance Union, it wasn't until 16 years later the city purchased the former willow swamp. Before that, motorists would take shortcuts through the swamp, and sometimes get stuck! WPA filled in the swamp from higher areas, and the city forbid cattle grazing. The park was renovated in the 1970s.

In 2003 the Everett Parks in partnership with the Riverside Neighborhood created a new master plan for Garfield Park. Shortly after, with funding from Community Block Grants and the City of Everett the first phase of the master plan was put into action. This phase included: new play ground equipment, new safety fencing around the park, new stone column entryways with art work, new landscaping with irrigation, new parking and sidewalks.

Garfield School (1969)

The current Garfield opened in 1969, and the old building was demolished shortly thereafter. The 1950s gymnasium was incorporated into the new building.

In Riverside Remembers, the story goes that the first School Patrol program started at Garfield. In 1924, Principal Grover Love and police officer Bill Tulin started the new program. This spread throughout the city by 1926, and to Seattle by 1928, and thereafter nation-wide.

Maple Street

Maple is one of the tree-named streets.

Pine Street

Looking north on Pine Street from a point near Pacific Avenue, early 1892. Everett Public Library archives

W.G. Swalwell house (1892)

W.G. Swalwell house (May 1892). In the photo, you can see the architect, Frederick Sexton, on the left. Frederick Sexton left a big impact on Everett architecture, particularly Riverside. W.G. Swalwell is second from left. Everett Public Library archives
1892. Jack O'Donnell collection

Swalwell was the eldest of seven brothers, and was a major real estate operator in early Everett. This house, with its veranda porch cost $2500 to build in 1892. Note how the windows and siding have changed.

The Swalwells created the first plat in Everett, in September 1891, called "Swalwell's First Addition to the City of Everett". This plat is from Walnut to the river for a couple blocks around Hewitt Ave. In November they platted "Swalwell's Second Addition", which went from Walnut to Fulton. This house is in the second plat.

Swalwell Cottage (1891) onclick="mapAddress('SwalwellC', '2712', 'Pine' )">

Pine St looking N from California toward Everett Ave (early 1892). The Swalwell Cottage, which cost $800, is the house on the right. In 1992, a fire extensively damaged the upper part, but owner Jim Thompson painstakingly restored it to the original look. The house on the left was was damaged by fire and demolished. Everett Public Library archives

On the National Register of Historic Places. Architect: Frederick Sexton.

The Swalwells owned much of Riverside before Everett was a dream of the eastern industrialists. Mr. Swalwell related that "the woods were so thick on his homestead that the trees touched his little shack on every side". His wife came with him and didn't see another woman for 3 months. Read about this cottage in the Everett Herald.

Everett Public Library archives.

William G. and Effie Swalwell house, back side, April 13, 1892.

Everett Public Library archives

Cedar Street

T.F. Packwood house (1892)

Everett Public Library archives

The T.F. Packwood house had water turned on in December of 1892.

Other Cedar addresses near by:

Our Lady of Perpetual Help (1925)

This aerial view of Riverside shows Our Lady of Perpetual Help church and school, along with St. Dominic's Academy. Our Lady of Perpetual Life archives

Architect of the 1925 church: C. Frank Mahan. Builder: A.D. McAdam.

EPL has photo.

The first Mass celebrated in Everett was January 17, 1892, and first Catholic baptism was 2 days later. By September 1892, plans for a rectory and church were completed. The first church was dedicated on Apr 23, 1893. Across Cedar St where Bethany Christian Assembly stands, St. Dominic's Academy was built in 1900. An all-pneumatic action Moller pipe organ was installed in 1917. About this time, the church was far too small for the growing population. But the World War prevented enough funds to build a larger church and school.

By 1925, $130,000 was available for a church holding 800 people and school for 400 children. Describe architecture. The altar and organ from the original church are still inside.

Just north on Cedar is the convent, built in 19XX.

libary has photo

Coyle House(1904)

This 2017 photo, taken while some work was being done on the old store, shows a sign on the side. Steve Fox

The store is probably pre-1932.

  • 1904: Jan 15, John Coyle applied for water service. Turned on Apr 13.
  • 1914: Coyle got the sewer hooked up (for 2324 Cedar).
  • 1914: Sanborn map shows the house, but not the store.
  • John Coyle was a watchman at EJ McNeely & Co, living at 805 California in 1902. The shingle mill was at 34th and Bayside. The next two year he was a fireman there. In 1905, he was a fireman at Carlson Bros Co., another shingle mill. In 1906 he was a laborer at Mitchell Lumber Co. By 1914 he was a watchman, married to Mary J Coyle, a nurse. Anne, a clerk at Grand Dealer Dry Goods also lived there. In 1918 he was a fireman at the Riverview Mill Co., and Irving J and Anne, both clerks with the same surname lived there. He disappears from the city directory after 1918, but Mary, John D and May I, Irving and Anne are still there until 1922.
  • 1928: Victor and Mary Young lived there. He was in gas and oils at 1601 Walnut. 1932: Victor Young is listed as a grocer with the grocery address at 2326 Cedar, and lives at the house. So perhaps the store started sometime before 1932. Victor Young, born in Illinois, was in Everett in 1910 at 1626 Rainier with his wife Mary (who is from Canada). They arrived in 1926, Blaine, from Canada, where he is listed at 2423 Cedar, a block south of this house address. He died in 1939 in Everett, age 77.
  • 1939: Vito Liuzzo runs the grocery store and lives at the house.
  • 1944 and 1947 phone books list Independent Grocery at 2326 Cedar, phone # Black 1658.
  • 2422 Cedar (1951) Jack O'Donnell collection

    Everett Christian School

    From Riverside Remembers: In 1920, a group of Everett people formed the American Christian School Society, to start a new school. It took until April 25, 1925 before they bought four lots for $1100 at 23rd and Cedar. School opened that September with one female teacher and 38 students, grades one to four, and the principal who taught 32 students, grades five to eight. By the end of the year there were 83 students.

    The Depression was rough, but they got through it and even paid off all debts by 1939. In 1953 the school expanded and the named changed to Everett Christian School. It now included ninth grade. In 1957 and 1967 more buildings were added as the school grew. In 1970, ninth grade was dropped, and in 1973 kindergarten was added.

    Fulton St

    2401 Fulton from the Nesika (1929). Jack O'Donnell collection
    Other Fulton addresses:

    Baker Ave

    See Baker Ave web page.

    Virginia Ave

    From Everett Ave to 19th St, Virginia Ave in the Riverside Historic Overlay zone. This overlay attempts to keep the historic character of the neighborhood through zoning guidelines.

    2700 Virginia block

    Riverside Historic Overlay research

    2600 Virginia block

    Riverside Historic Overlay research

    2500 Virginia block

    Riverside Historic Overlay research

    2400 Virginia block

    Riverside Historic Overlay research

    2300 Virginia block

    Riverside Historic Overlay research

    2200 Virginia block

    Riverside Historic Overlay research

    2100 Virginia block

    Riverside Historic Overlay research

    2000 Virginia block

    Jack O'Donnell collection

    Riverside Historic Overlay research

    1900 Virginia block

    Riverside Historic Overlay research

    Rainier Ave

    North Junior High School (1981)

    North Junior High was built in 1925, when there were 1180 students in grades 7, 8, and 9. It was the city's first junior high school. Senator Henry Jackson, who later ran for president of the United States, was in the first class, but transfered to South Junior the next year. A library was added in 1929, and girl's gymnasium in 1930. In 1947 there were about 1100 to 1150 students. That year, eighth grade girls and boys were separated for all classes, but the following year they were mixed. The old school was torn down years ago. In 1970, North Junior was changed to North Middle School, with the grades changed to sixth, seventh, and eighth.

    After much controversy about whether to build a new building on Bagshaw Field or the current building site, in 1979 it was decided to tear down the old school. During the year the demolition and construction occurred, seventh and eighth graders attended Port Gardner Middle School (formerly South Junior High), while sixth graders went to Washington Elementary. North Middle School reopened in 1981 with 1100 students.

    Bagshaw Field (former Fairgrounds)

    More action for Everett High School, with a view of homes on the 2200 block of 24th St. Larry Wold collection

    Enoch Bagshaw (b. 1882, Wales, d. 1930) was the Everett High School football coach from 1911-1920. During this era, Everett completely dominated local high school football. The rest of the 1920s he coached at the University of Washington, going to the Rose Bowl twice. He was fired in 1929 after a poor season, and died the year after.

    This is where Everett High School won the national football championship game on the first day of 1921 against Toledo Ohio's team. Can you imagine the excitement in Everett?

    July 13, 1948 photo taken from 23rd St. Larry Wold collection

    Everett Herald article from Nov, 1943. Jack O'Donnell collection

    S. K. Painter house (1907)

    The exposed rafter tails are now missing, and may be the same as 2510 Baker, 2432 Baker, and 2710 Baker? Jack O'Donnell collection

    McDougall Ave

    The two different views show different times.

    This house was moved from 2106 23rd St.

    Broadway

    See Broadway web page.

    Important books

    Max Miller (1899-1967)

    Max Carlton Miller, born in Traverse City, Michigan, spent his youth in Riverside. He moved to Montana for a time, but returned to Everett for high school. He worked for newspapers in Australia, the South Pacific, and California. Before graduating from high school, he enlisted for WWI. He also was in the military during parts of WWII and the Korean War. He wrote 28 books and was the most famous Riverside author. His books Beginning of a Mortal (1933), No Matter What Happens (1948), and Shinny on Your Own Side (1958), are vivid descriptions of what it was like to grow up in the Riverside neighborhood.

    The Miller house was removed by the freeway project. It was at about 23rd and Summit.

    To be added

    Riverside Dairy truck. Everett Public Library. Everett Public Library archives

    We hope you enjoyed your walking tour of the Hewitt Avenue National Historic District! For more tours, see Historic Everett walking tours. Write us below if you have comments, more history, or questions.


    Historic Everett home page

    Contact us