Broadway is probably named similar to Wall Street -- after street names in New York City.
Broadway changed quite a bit when it became US Highway 99.
After WWII when the automobile culture boomed, many "Route 66" type businesses were built on Broadway.
Hotel Sexton (1901-2017)
This builing burned down Sept 2, 2017 at a loss of $1.5 Million.
The hotel, built by Charles Sexton in 1901, and was called the Sexton Hotel from 1901-1910.
The name was changed to Milwaukee Hotel from 1911-12,
Hotel Cadillac from 1913-21,
Marigold Hotel from 1922-50.
In 1952 it became the IOOF hall, until 1988.
In 1988, the IOOF sold it to Virgil and Mary Morgan, who restored it in 1989, calling it the Marigold,
and had a dance studio upstairs for many years.
It was rented to a furniture dealer in its last years.
Broadway Bridge (1900, 1912, 2015)
The Broadway Avenue Bridge spans over the Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) between Hewitt Avenue and California Street.
On June 25, 1900, the City of Everett passed an ordinance granting the St. Paul Minneapolis and Manitoba Railway Company
and its successors the right to build a railway through Everett.
The ordinance stated the bridge would include plank flooring
and constructed with suitable strength to carry a double-track street car line and carry a pavement
(concrete or asphalt) should the city choose to cover them over time.
A second bridge was constructed in 1912 and had a steel stringer structure which supported
a timber roadway covered with asphalt.
In 1931 the bridge was renovated and a concrete deck with embedded steel stringers replaced the original timber deck.
In order to carry the weight of the new design, new columns, stiffeners and stringers were added.
By 2001, the bridge exterior stringers, concrete road deck and steel cap beams had degraded to the point
that a new structure was necessary.
The current bridge, the third, opened in December, 2015.
The railway enters a tunnel under the central business district, emerging near the waterfront in the Bayside neighborhood.
2811 Broadway (gone)
Richfield Petroleum. First appears in 1928-29 Polk. Last appears with “plant” suffix in 1957 Polk.
Kent Sullivan research
Pioneer Alpine Dairy (1929)
Bings Hamburgers (1956)
This classic 1950s drive in hamburger joint became a donut shop in 1982.
The donut shop has had several names.
Rip Van Winkle Motel (1947)
George Van Winkle built this motel.
At one time, the Rip Van Winkle was the fanciest motel in town.
It had a wonderful neon sign designed by Arnie Jensen.