Central Business District
self-guided history tour
This website in work... much to be added!
8-22-90 Rucker bros. file plat for Port Gardner later withdrawn for Hewitt-Colby plans
11-29-90 Remarkable Document drawn where Ruckers transferred property to Hewitt for industrial guarantees
The Central Business District
Note: some browsers, like Firefox, will print this document in multiple columns.
Welcome to Everett's Central Business District!
The boundaries are Everett Avenue, Broadway Avenue, Pacific Avenue, and the bayside.
THere are a smattering of homes in this area, but most of it
Knights of Columbus Community Center and War Memorial Building (1921)
National Historic Register.
Architect: Charles F.W. Lundberg and C. Frank Mahon.
General contractor: A.D. McAdam.
The Catholic Men's organization, Knights of Columbus, wanted to honor 41 of their members who served in World War I.
At the time, with 550 members it was one of the larger men's organizations in Everett.
Their subscription campaign coincided with the YMCA efforts to raise money for their new building.
Like the YMCA, this building had a gymnasium and swimming pool.
Reportedly it cost $110,000 to build, plus $25,000 in furnishings and equipment.
By 1926, membership dropped to 350, and two years later the Knights of Columbus turned over the property to the Masonic Order.
Hereafter it was known as the "Masonic Temple".
The Masons filled in the swimming pool fairly early in their tenure.
The massive Second Renaissance Revival style building is on the edge of the central business district,
seemingly dividing it from the homes to the north.
There are three stories plus a high basement.
The Everett and Wetmore sides are clad with "burlap brick".
The roof is supported by jigsaw brackets with beaded edges, springing from an applied dentil course.
Some of the window treatment is characteristic of Georgian Revival,
and patterned brickwork reference American Colonial style.
It had a great dining hall in the basement that could seat 700-800 people.
The kitchen had five ovens.
A grand marble staircase led to the main floor.
Originally the main floor had a ladies parlor, billiard room, but later was a dance studio.
The second story had the Grand Lodge Hall, a secondary youth hall, dressing and locker rooms, and an theater seating 800.
The attic story is somewhat smaller with several miscellaneous rooms.
National Historic Register.
Architect: Henry Bittman.
Builder: Alexander and MacNeil.
The first Monte Cristo Hotel
An earlier Monte Cristo Hotel was built in 1892 several blocks to the southwest.
It was named for the mining town Monte Cristo 40 miles east.
That town was named after the famous Alexander Dumas book to portray the richness of that mining district.
The first Monte Cristo Hotel as such for just 11 years, when Providence Hospital was started in 1903.
The Mitchell Hotel (Cascadia Apartments) on Hewitt Ave became the hotel of preference when built that year.
The new hotel on Wall St would render the Mitchell as an out-of-date hotel in 1925.
Thus, history repeated itself, and would again in the 1960s.
Providence tore down the first Monte Cristo Hotel building in 1924 for its new hospital building.
The new Monte Cristo Hotel
By the 1920s, the age of the automobile was rapidly changing life for travelers, including hotels.
New roads and leisure time travel by car were increasing rapidly.
Investors from Mt Vernon, including A.A. Wood, president of the Monte Cristo Hotel, started the project
and attracted hundreds of investors from both Mt Vernon and Everett.
The largest hotel project until that time became Everett's most important hotel and social center for forty years.
The 59,000 square foot building is concrete construction, faced with red brick, and trimmed with concrete plaster and cast stone.
The H shape plan, Second Renaissance Revival style, has two five-story wings, joined by a six-story tranverse.
The forecourt is a single-story entry vestible with two-story lobby space.
The rear court is a single-story banquet hall.
There were 140 rooms, each with windows to the outside.
By today's standards, the rooms were relatively small, half with full baths.
Floors 2 through 5 had four bridal suites.
Five larger bedrooms and a committee room were in the penthouse.
The original lobby had a Persian rug, and specially upholstered furniture with
exotic titles "The Persian", "The Corsican", and "The Arabian".
The opening of the hotel on May 29, 1925 was a grand affair, broadcast by a Seattle radio station.
The cost of construction and furnishings was $535,000.
The decline and renovation
There were remodels several times in its history.
The small rooms became unpopular, and the hotel was considered outdated.
Plumbing, wiring, fire escapes, the elevator and mechanical became outdates as the building didn't generate as much income.
By 1973 it was vacant and remained so for two decades.
There were numerous code compliance violations, and plenty of vandalism.
Fortunately, in 1994 the building was renovated.
THe $6.9 million project combined private and government monies.
Investors included Boeing, Weyerhauser and several banks.
David Mandley's Lojis Corporation used those and federal tax credits in the project.
69 units of low-income housing are operated by Catholic Housing Services.
The elegant ballroom is a popular wedding venue.
Zindorf started construction by the end of February, 1892.
It was complete by May of that year, for a cost of $6000.
The first brick building in this area of Everett, the Pioneer Block housed many functions in its early years.
By Decembeer of that year, a room was used for a classroom.
David B. Ewing, photographer, used a portion as a studio and residence.
It was the first location for the Everett Herald, then known as The Independent.
Also used as the Scandanavian Methodist Episcopal Church in 1893.
In 1900-24 the upper floor was a hotel.
There was a cigar shop, rubber vulcanizing works, and in 1925-37 one of Everett's first radio stations.
That station, KFBL, later became KRKO.
The Cabin Tavern was there from the repeal of the Volstead act (Prohibition) in 1933 until the 1980s.
Marion Building (1893)
Architect: A.F. Heide.
Builder: Thornton Goldsby.
This Romanesque Revival has repetitive arched windows and a shallow cornice with modillions.
The ground floor was leased to the Tontine Saloon and a restaurant.
Bartender Charles Manning bought the Tontine, then leased it to pursue Alaska gold.
Returning with riches, Manning renovated the saloon, turning it into an elegant tap room.
The upper story opened as the Marion Hotel, which lasted until the early 1930s.
The 1910 Local Option closed saloons, and the ground floor became a hardware store.
Lloyd's Hardware occupied the location for over fifty years.
National Historic Register.
Architect: Carl Frelinghuysen Gould.
Contractor: H. Solie.
The Carnegie Library on Oakes became too small by the 1920s.
However, economic decline prevented the city from doing any expansion.
But when industrialist Leonard Howarth died in 1930, he left $75,000 to the city.
The city decided to build a new, centrally located library.
Gould had designed the Seattle Art Museum and several Collegiate Gothic buildings at the University of Washington.
He intended Everett's library to be completely modern, thus the Art Moderne style.
Gould encouraged the murals inside, painted by John T. Jacobsen.
In 1962, an insensitive addition was added.
in 1991 a sensitive restoration and remodel was done by Dykeman Architects of Everett and Cardwell-Thomas of Seattle.
In the mid-1970s, the Northwest Room with Margaret Riddle and David Dilgard
started the extensive collection of historical materials for Everett and Snohomish County.
This is the most important resource for local history.
The children's entrance (no longer used) can still be viewed on Everett Avenue.
The canopied entry has art glass windows illustrating themes from children's literature.
Inside, the four repoussee panels illustrate the history of books from prehistory through the invention of the printing press.
Everett Register -- proposed.
Architect: John Bryant of Bryant, Butterfield and Frets, Everett.
Builder: Frank Waltner of Puget Sound Builders.
There were several unrelated banks named Bank of Everett.
This one was chartered on June 27, 1962.
They started in a temporary old-fashioned building, but intended their bank to be the "last word in modern banking".
The new building was dedicated August 9, 1963.
The steel and concrete building had 3,800 square feet on the main and basement floors, plus a mezzanine (intended for future use).
The Everett Herald mentioned “the striking feature of the arched (vaulted) ceiling supported by slender white columns.
Gold-color Italian glass tile and large window areas, some clear and some amber colored, form the exterior.”
Aluminum-framed windows were grey plate on the east, gold figured glass on both sides of the columns.
The interior was laid with gold carpet, and modern tables and chairs.
Walls were walnut panel and grass cloth, and hemlock.
The fireproof walk-in vault, with new modern safe deposit boxes, reportedly had the thickest walls in Everett.
The lower floor had a board room, storage and utility areas, and an employee’s lunchroom.
The bank went through some changes: to Rainier in 1980 and Key Bank in 1992.
By 2005 the building was empty, and purchased by the city of Everett.
Two years later, plans were announced to build a 170-seat children's theater.
The proposal was for Village Theater and the city to share the remodel costs.
But due to the 2008 recession, it was delayed a couple years.
Funds were raised, with the city spending $1.3 million and Village Theatre raising $2.8 million.
Architects were Designs Northwest Architects, and Stig Carlson Architecture.
The builder was Newland Construction.
The building was renamed the Cope-Gillette Theatre on Oct 29, 2015 for philanthropists Saundra Cope and Walt Gillette.
Rumbaugh's Department Store (1929)
Architect: Mirriam and Doyle.
Builder: A.D. Balenger.
Rumbaugh's was the largest department store in Snohomish County.
This building was of a modern design at the time, made of structural steel and building block.
The exterior has ornamental cream taupe terra cotta.
Slender terra cotta pilasters rise the height of the building, emphasizing its vertical lines.
Large open windows enabled a well-lit interior, a key feature desired.
The basement was lit with over 70 lightbulbs, and touted as the brightest spot in Everett.
The main floor had a tall ceiling and feeling of open space.
A broad terrazzo staircase with ornamental iron rail led to upper floors.
Also inside were an auditorium, lending library, and post office.
Large marquees covered entry ways on both California and Wetmore.
Built in conjunction with the store was the Balboa Theater, whose marquee combined with Rumbaugh's.
Allied bought the store in the 1940s, operating it as a Bon Marche.
In 1953, the Balboa Theater closed, and it was used by the Bon.
In 1968, the Bon removed the brick facing, replacing it with gold-colored anodized aluminum
By 1991 the Bon closed.
The building was used by Trinity Lutheran College until 2016, then used by Funko.
IOOF Hall (1912)
The large three-story building has been altered at the storefront level
and replaced the original 1901 lodge for the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
National membership peaked over 2 million in 1920.
Goldberg Furniture occupied the building from 1941 until 1959.
A corbelled belt course divides the first-story base form the upper stories.
Regularly-spaced, rectangular window openings (seven each at the second and third stories) are divided by two-story pilasters,
and brick spandrel panels with a decorative geometric design are located between first- and second-story windows.
Two thin cast stone belt courses separate the third story from the tall flat parapet above.
A wider, flat band with a central peak highlights a simple escutcheon with the construction date -- 1912.
Salvation Army (1918)
This two-story building is faced with oversized bricks and there are two entries with original wood windows.
Simple decorative details include a crenellated cornice and sloped brick window sills.
Speaker's Corner (1916)
The northwest corner of Wetmore & Hewitt Avenues was the traditional spot for local soapbox orators,
and it was not until the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) began using the corner to protest the poor working conditions of shingle workers
that public speaking was outlawed on this corner.
A group of 300 IWW members ferried to Everett to support the shingle strikers in a rally.
There was a confrontation with the police at the waterfront when the IWW members tried to land and shooting broke out.
Five workers and 2 deputies were killed, and at least 30 were wounded.
This November 5, 1916 is known as the "Everett Massacre".
National Historic Register.
Architect: A.H. Albertson.
Ironically, this building at the corner of Wall Street was completed at the start of the Great Depression.
It is an Art Deco style masonry building with four floors and full basement.
The two-story pavilion has the main entrance, with bronze letters proclaiming "City of Everett".
Buff-colored brick and terra cotta clad the facade.
Behind is the three-story main building, and on either flank are two-story wings.
Not long after Everett incorporated in 1893, city government moved from rented rooms to the first city hall on Broadway.
By the 1920s, growth of the city and a feeling of prosperity motivated the city to build a grand, modern city hall.
The design was announced in January 1929, and the building occupied by November.
Mostly well received by Everettites, one citizen complained that the structure looked like a great toad squatting in a hole.
In 1978-79, the building was rehabilitated, but the exterior and much of the interior was kept intact.
Old Snohomish County Courthouse (1898 - mostly burned down, 1911)
National Historic Register.
Architect: August F. Heide (both the first and second buildings).
Builder: Olson and Mellen (second building).
The Snohomish County seat originally was in Mukilteo (1861), then moved later that year to Snohomish.
But in 1897, it was moved to Everett on land donated by the Everett Land Co.
Heide, working for the Everett Land Co., designed the Chateauesque style original building, three stories of brick and stone, complete the following year.
In 1908 a two-story brick annex was added on the north side.
A fire started in a carriage and wheel factory across Wetmore on August 2, 1909.
Sparks from it lit the older courthouse on fire, and only the annex was saved.
Many important county records, including building records were lost.
To this day, research on historic architecture relies on city permit records, and exact dates of buildings are not known.
Little was salvagable except the foundation and a few walls.
A new courthouse rises from the ashes
August Heide, now a Seattle architect, was selected to draw new plans for the replacement courthouse.
The new building, in the midst of an Everett boom when the city tripled in size, was to be in an up-to-date style and with the latest approved modern construction.
He designed it in the Mission style popular at that time, managing to re-use the three ground floor arches.
Originally, the center arch was the main entry.
A central balcony and tile roof give the exterior it's classic Mission appearance.
A square clock tower rises flush with the west facade, topped by a belfry and stucco dome.
The clock started on March 9, 1910.
All four faces use the same mechanism, and interior clocks of the day were regulated together with the main clock.
The war memorial was built in 1943, clad in white stucco like the courthouse.
In 1952, the south end was altered such that the facade is no longer perfectly symmetrical.
The courthouse interior was remodeled in 1966-7 when construction of the county administrative complex was done.
In 1965, the annex was removed, two towers were removed, and a new building put up to the north.
The courthouse was restored in the early 2000s, reparing the roof and stabilizing the clock tower.
Decades of bird droppings, and cracked shells left by seagulls were removed.
The tiles were removed, cleaned, and replaced over a waterproof membrane.
The dome was repainted in its original deep yellow color.
The windows were rehabilitated and the stucco walls repaired and painted.
Rockefeller Ave was discontinued for the new courthouse construction and mall according to the July 22, 1971 Herald.
2-11-06 beginning of weeklong celebration of opeping of First Cong. Ch at Everett and Rockefeller, from 2915 Cedar.
7-27-58 dedication on new Congregational Church, Everett & Rockefeller, began in old church and ended in new church.
2702 Rockefeller: Central Lutheran Church (1920). Gothic style. Corner towers have battlement-like parapets and pedimented central pavillions.
Everett Sheet Metal Works (1915)
This two-story brick commercial building has a storefont with recessed entry at the southern portion of the west facade.
The building is finished with brick laid in Flemish bond.
Four paired windows are on the second story.
Everett Sheet Metal Works occupied the building from at least 1932-1959, with the owner living above.
Architect: Baker, Bogie and Evans.
This formal Georgian style building replaced the 1901 building that burned down in 1920.
The red-orange brick rises above a concrete ground level.
The Rockefeller and California facades are nearly identical, and 60 feet long.
Originally it contained a lobby, guest rooms, game room and gymnasium.
It was renovated in 1950.
In 1961, the modern steel frame rear addition was added.
The YMCA originated in Everett in 1899 when 87 Everett men decided to start a local YMCA.
Their wooden-framed building was completed on land donated by the Everett Land Co. in 1901.
By 1910 it was too small, but economic conditions prevented any expansion.
But the fire on March 30, 1920 happened in happier financial times.
The low-scale, one-story Modern commercial building is characterized by its Roman brick finish around an expansive glazed storefront.
An integral flat awning shelters the storefront, and the parapet above is faced with corrugated metal.
The original occupant was Scott Sheet Metal Works.
In 1959, Jensen's Draperies moved in and in 1987 Graber Insurance Company.
2815 Rockefeller Ave (1925)
This two-story vernacular commercial building is finished with light brown brick.
Occupants included Globe Paint & Wallpaper Company, Mutual Benefit Club of Washington, Technocracy Inc.,
and Belden Electric Company.
2816 Rockefeller Avenue (1928)
Occupants included Typewriter Exchange, Bowling Drives (bowling alley), and Everett Poultry Company.
The primary east facade of this vernacular one-story commercial building is faced with red brick laid in running bond.
The glazed wood storefront system with a central recessed entry and a glazed transom band above appear original.
A row of soldiered brick runs above the storefront opening,
and two very slightly projecting header courses provide simple detail to the parapet, which has a shaped sheet metal coping.
Mehan Block (1925)
This two-story commercial building is faced with light tan brick.
A grocery store sold goods from 1925 into the 1940s, first as Skaggs United Store from 1925-27, changing later to Safeway.
The Salvation Army thrift shop served the public into the 1950s.
Until 2004, Betty Spooner's dance studio was upstairs for 78 years.
This Modern building has a horizontality emphasized by its Roman brick veneer, flat marquee above the the central entry,
and a single wide rectangular window opening on either side of the entry.
Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post 2100 was chartered April 25, 1931 in Lake Stevens, Washington.
The post moved to Everett in 1946.
Records indicate interior remodels in the 1960s and a rear addition in the 1970s.
Normanna Lodge (1947)
The prominent, recessed central entry is emphasized by rounded corners and a projecting porch roof.
On either side of the entry is a rectangular punched opening filled with glass block.
Originally constructed with a second story which was destroyed by fire in the late 1960s.
As they arrived in West Coast cities, Scandinavian immigrants organized literary and social clubs.
Everett's "Den Norske Forening" first built a meeting hall here in 1904.
The front doors were replaced in 1969.
It continues to be occupied by the Sons of Norway as Normanna Lodge.
Challacombe & Fickel Funeral Home (1923)
Everett Register. Architect: Benjamin F. Turnbull.
The Colonial Revival building is characterized by its hipped roof and dormers, red brick finish,
entry porch supported by Tuscan columns, frieze band with dentil course,
and twelve-over-one-light double-hung wood windows.
Original owners Nicholas B. Challacombe and Charles H. Fickel formed a partnership in 1919.
Challacombe had been the county coroner for four hears,
as well as serving as president of the state board for examiners and embalmers.
Fickel was a well-known mortician and also served as county coroner.
Walter Precht joined the business in the mid-1930s.
He and his wife Ruth lived above the business, which she managed during the war.
The Precht family operated the funeral home until 1984 and owned it until 2007.
National Guard Armory (1920-21)
Architects: Louis Swartz; Harold Johnson.
The original armory structure has been covered by later alterations in the Stripped Classical style (1963).
The two-story building has a slightly T-shaped footprint.
Everett Fire Station No. 2 (1925)
National Register of Historic Places.
Architects: Morrison & Stimson.
Builder: Solie & Wahl.
Designed in a simplified Italianate style with a square hose tower at the south end of the east facade.
Finished with buff brick veneer and cast stone "blocks" surrounding four large bays with overhead doors.
A central entry has a glazed wood-paneled door wih a decorative shield above.
Roof is red-tiled.
Fire Station No. 2 is the oldest and most significant of the city's extant fire stations.
It was built in a period when motorized fire equipment was replacing horse-drawn equipment.
The building was the site of the fire chief's office and the center of the city's firefighting system.
The building is trapezoidal, not rectangular in plan, and has a full basement.
Behind is a hose tower, which suggests an Italian Renaissance motif at the top.
Note the cast stone frieze with the title "Everett Fire Department".
The ground floor contained fire trucks, while the upstairs had a dormitory, two bedrooms, showers, and a lounge.
Of course, a firepole was used to drop down to the main floor.
Morrison & Stimson designed the building starting early January, 1925, finishing later that month.
Construction was complete by summer.
Things happened quickly in those days!
Dolloff Motors (1931?)
The railroad tunnel under this site was originally open here, per the 1914 Sanborn map.
It was capped off with a bridge about 5-17-1917 the half block from the alley to Oakes.
Originally the Dolloff-Snyder Company, they sold at a temporary location on Colby before setting up business on Oakes.
The Dolloff brothers had been selling cars at 2818 Oakes for some time prior to this clinker brick building.
Dolloff Motor Co. remained until 1962.
The Dolloffs owned the building after that, but leased to a used car sales company.
November 23, 1962 was the grand opening of Novak Oldsmobile.
In 1981 the building was remodelled for the North Everett Lions Club.
The south facade is divided into four wide storefront bays, divided by brick pilasters, with a shaped brick parapet above.
Carnegie Library (1905)
National Register of Historic Places. Architect: August F. Heide.
This site was originally was intended for the Chamber of Commerce Building.
In 1892, a building designed by Frederick Sexton was started, but the Panic of 1893 stopped construction.
Meanwhile, Everett's public library was started in 1894 by the Everett Women's Book Club.
At first the books were in a member's home, then moved to several locations while looking for a permanent home.
On Jan 6, 1903 the club obtained a $25,000 Carnegie grant, and shortly after the Chamber of Commerce building was demolished.
Andrew Carnegie was a steel magnate who donated money for over 2500 libraries between 1883 and 1929.
The Second Renaissance Revival style design was inspired by the Carnegie Libraries at Pomona, CA and Boston, MA.
The two-story building has a very high main floor, and a tall basement.
The round-arched portal in the back has tall round-arched windows on either side.
On July 3, 1905, the doors were "thrown open" to public on 7-01 (Herald).
THey started with 4000 books.
It remained a library until the new one was built at Everett and Hoyt Avenues in 1934.
On Dec 14, 1934, John J. Jerread Inc. Funeral Directors opened in the building.
50 years later, the building was used by Snohomish County.
Running east-west, this railway tunnel extends underground through Everett's business district for seven blocks,
from Oakes Avenue on the east to West Marine View Drive on the west.
It is a concrete tunnel containing a single line of tracks.
The Great Northern Railway reached Everett in 1893, with service from the East Coast
and continuing to its western terminus in Seattle.
Today BNSF owns and operates the tunnel, which is also used by Amtrak trains.
Labor Temple (1930)
Architect: C. Ferris White
This eclectic two-story building is located just north of the commercial downtown strip, facing east on Lombard Avenue.
The primary east facade features a prominent central entry reached by steps.
A cast stone surround frames the entry and reads "Labor Temple" above the opening.
A one-story modern addition was constructed on the north side of the original building.
Built during the Depression, the building replaced an earlier Labor Temple.
End of walking tour
We hope you enjoyed your walking tour of the Bayside neighborhood!
For more tours, see Historic Everett walking tours.
Write us below if you have comments, more history, or questions.