The Livingstons lived here for years.
Note: The house is now addressed as 3030 Tulalip.
It's possible the house was slightly moved due to being over the property line.
The front door was moved to the side.
This is the boldest, biggest mansion in old Everett, built by for Bethel Rucker and his newly wedded wife Ruby Brown Rucker.
His mother, Jane Rucker also lived here.
The Ruckers were landowners in the first boom of Everett.
They also owned mills and the Big Four Inn.
GONE: The old Monte Cristo Hotel / Providence Hospital (1892-1924)
Architect: Charles Hove.
To promote the new city, one of the earliest and definitely the most ambitious building was the Monte Cristo Hotel.
Originally it was to be named for Charles Colby, but he declined.
It was named for the gold mining district 38 miles east in the Cascade Mountains,
which surely would provide riches as fantastic as in the popular novel of the time, "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexander Dumas.
(It did not;
is now a ghost town requiring a four mile hike to visit.)
Eastern industrialists with funds from John D. Rockefeller were rushing to complete the railroad between the two towns,
completed in 1893.
The hotel would be perfect for the Rockefeller syndicate for lavish events.
The U-shaped hotel had 75 sleeping rooms, a billiard parlor, saloon, barber shop, 36 x 40 foot kitchen, 40 x 50 foot main dining room,
a gentleman's private writing room, and a ladies' parlor with fireplace and piano.
The magnificent hotel was designed by Charles Hove, who lived at now-gone 3020 Kromer Ave in a house he also designed.
Hove was born near Hamburg, Germany in 1849, the son of a carpenter.
At age 23 he fled conscription to army and arrived in Chicago where he spent a year and a half before going to Milwaukee.
He arrived in Tacoma in 1889 and designed buildings for Henry Hewitt, a founder of Everett.
In 1891 he founded a partnership with August Franklin Heide and the firm became architects for the Everett Land Company.
In March 1893 the partnership dissolved.
In fall 1915 he was attacked and killed by a bull on his farm.
Hove is buried in Everett’s Evergreen Cemetery.
Jack O'Donnell research
David Clough lived here in 1903.
In May 1904, the hotel was purchased for $50,000 by the Sisters of Providence, to become their hospital.
It had 75 beds, starting with 11 Sisters and 3 employees.
Major events for the hospital include receiving 8 victims of the
Everett Massacre in 1916 and
many victims of the Spanish Flu in 1918.
In 1924, the young building was torn down shortly after a new hospital was built just to the east.
The sisters intended to build a modern nurses home on the hotel site, but it was built further south on Nassau.
Torn down by the Healy Company, the Healys recycled many of the materials with some glass panels going as far as California.
They provided 500 bricks that were scattered amongst the bricks of
a new Monte Cristo Hotel, built on Wall Street in 1925.
Alexander Keay immigrated from Scotland to Everett in the late 1800’s.
Amy McGhie Keay and many of her siblings immigrated at about the same time from Ontario Canada.
Alexander worked for several of Amy’s brothers at their meat packing company, where he met Amy.
They bought the house at 3201 Norton in about 1906.
Story and research by Bart Keay Triesch
Alexander was well known and popular in Everett and in 1908 he was voted City Treasurer.
In 1911 Amy went back east to attend the funeral of her mother.
When she returned, her husband was missing.
There was much speculation that perhaps he disappeared while on a hunting trip.
However, it soon was determined that a large sum of money was missing from the city’s treasury.
Alexander had embezzled between $19,000 - $23,000 from the city (about $500,000 in 2019).
See Herald, Dec 6-7-8-11-14-22, 1911 stories.
Despite that Pinkerton detectives searched for Alexander’s whereabouts, he was never seen again.
Amy and her two sons went on to live alone at 3201 Norton.
Amy died in 1952 at the age of 86.
Alexandria Keay Triesch was born in 1921 in the bedroom that extends over the front porch at 3201 Norton.
This was one of the earliest hospitals in Everett, started by Dr. Electra Rossman Friday in 1904.
An earlier hospital had closed due to financial problems.
Dr. Friday operated it until passing away in 1916, then her sister Miss Julia Gould operated it until 1924 when it became apartments.
Everett General Hospital started in 1924 near by.
The hospital grew to use four houses, connected with corridors.
After that use they were again separated.
The main house became a rest home.
In 1974 it was torn down for a new rest home building.
Longfellow School, 3715 Oakes Ave, built in 1911.
The new school, designed by Wesley R. Hastings and built by R.B. McAdam, was erected for about $38,000.
Its design reflected a subdued vernacular version of the popular Beaux Arts Classic style
with symmetrically placed windows and a decorative cornice as part of a pronounced entablature.
The 12-room concrete structure was faced with a stucco finish.
The district broke tradition by naming the school for a literary figure instead of for a U.S. president.
Later other city schools were named for poets.
Important alumni include Senator Henry M. "Scoop" Jackson, and Stan Boreson.
As of this writing (Feb 2017), Longfellow School is in jeapordy of being torn down for a parking lot.
Longfellow School was used for students from 1911-1971.
Later it was the administration building for the Everett School District.
More information on Longfellow School.
The Superior Grocery, right side of the picture, was at 3101 Broadway.
operated by E.P. McPhall, president; William F. and Jessie G. Porter, treasurers, and Edwin M. and Myrtle B. Ellis.
Later only Roy A. Hyatt was listed – as manager. Possibly living in upstairs quarters at the time were Jesse and Elinor McClure.
At one point he was a machine tender at Everett Pulp and Paper and she a dressmaker working out of the home.
Everett Memorial Stadium (1947)
The area of the stadium and parking area was once a wetland and had a brick yard near by to the south.
The school district discussed and planned for years for a new athletic complex.
The Everett Elks Lodge No. 479 donated land for the stadium in 1947, dedicating it to Everett men who died during WWII.
Rushing to complete before the end of the football season,
the grandstand was built by Associated Sand and Gravel of Everett, owned by EHS grads Howard Sievers and George Duecy.
The stadium roof was built by Newland Builders, owned by EHS grads, the Newland family.
On November 1, 1947, Governor Mon Wallgren gave the dedication address,
and the first game for the stadium was Everett vs. traditional rival Bellingham.
The Seaguls won the game
In the 1960s, the stadium roof was built by Newland Builders, owned by EHS grads, the Newland family.
In 1981, a new fieldhouse, named for longtime coach and athletic director Jim Ennis opened.
The all-weather track and press box were added in the 1980s.