Riverside Baker Ave map
NOTE: See Riverside neighborhood web page for the rest of the neighborhood.
For other Riverside streets, click on the Index above, or the Riverside web page.
For other neighborhoods, see Everett walking tours.
NOTE: See Riverside neighborhood web page for the rest of the neighborhood.
From Everett Ave to 19th St, Baker Ave is in the Riverside Historic Overlay zone. This overlay attempts to keep the historic character of the neighborhood through zoning guidelines.
The decade of 1900-1910 saw tremendous growth in Everett. Although the general economy was not well, Everett produced much lumber after the San Francisco earthquake and fire The city tripled in size from 8,000 to 24,000 people. Most of the homes you'll see near by are from this era.
In 1908, Loring Dwelly had a livery stable for his business at 2711 Hewitt that included wood, coal, coke, horse saddlery, harnesses, blacksmith and horse shoeing. In 1909, Dwelly built this building on Baker Ave, and advertized Deare and Velie Vehicles, farm implements, harness and saddlery. His home with his wife Grace was at 3128 Pine. There was another livery stable that was built the year before on Bayside at 2804 Grand Ave, where the Sno-Isle Coop is today. Walter Dwelly was a salesman there. But soon after his business failed. Loring Dwelly is listed as a contractor in 1912, and he disappeared from Everett soon after.
A.R. Maulsby bought the building in 1914 and moved his Sound Casket Company there. Maulsby came to Everett as an undertaker from Bellingham about 1909, and made quite a business for himself. Originally he operated Sound Casket Company at 2914 and 2916 Pacific. He also ran a business, Maulsby & Sons, Undertakers, 1711 Wall at Wetmore, with his wife Maude and sons J Rollo and Zeni R. They had a parlor car which ran from Wall St to 41st, using the Interurban tracks on Colby, to carry mourners from his Maulsby Undertakers to burial at Evergreen. This is the same Maulsby who bought all the land at the end of Grand Avenue, gave lots to his sons and daughter, and after which Maulsby Lane in the NW corner of Everett is named. Dave Ramstad research
The cinder block addition on the south end was built about 1950.
William R. Paddock was the first owner of this home. He was a Bookkeeper for the Riverside Carriage Company. See where the Carriage Company was located, just a couple blocks south.
From Riverside Historical Overlay records
Sherwood arrived in 1893 to teach at the "Barge Works" school, later called the "Smelter School". By 1901, he was principal of Monroe School, torn down in 1965. For awhile he was superintendent of the Everett Schools. But his longest and final tenure was as the first principal of Garfield Elementary.
1911 Polk: Jean and Lorraine (student) Sherwood.
From Riverside Historical Overlay records
1906 Polk: Aaron B (eng. ER&E Co) and Mertyle G Doty,(stengr. for Robert McMurchie). 1909 Polk: Patrick J. Dooley. 1917 Polk: Genevieve C. O'Brien, clerk Stone-Fisher Co.
Moshier was a miner in 1906. In 1909, William O. Eisenman, driver Western Produce Co. lived here.
Many homes in this area have partial basements. They held furnaces that burned wood waste from the many mills near by. A typical kitchen might also have a wood burning stove. When they were built, electricity was only used for lighting and the occasional appliance.
From Riverside Historical Overlay records
From Riverside Historical Overlay records
From Riverside Historical Overlay records
From Riverside Historical Overlay records
From Riverside Historical Overlay records
Sylvester Dockery was a foreman for the Eclipse Mill Company. His wife was Agnes.
From Riverside Historical Overlay records
From Riverside Historical Overlay records