NW Neighborhood self-guided history tour
Welcome to NW Neighborhood!
The official boundaries are north of 19th St, and west of Broadway Ave.
From the Aug 1992 survey, by Marilyn Sullivan, historic preservation planner:
The men who built the homes along the bluff overlooking Port Gardner dreamed of factories, railroads, mills and mines.
Those who had already made their fortune built substantial homes on large lots,
those who were still following the dream built simple cottages on small lots, sometimes on the same block.
They were built during the Rockefeller Boom (1891-99), the Hill Revival period (1900-15), and the twenties boom (1916-29).
John W. Butterworth, a buyer for Everett Pulp and Paper, and his wife Mary built this in 1920.
Their son Robert lived with them.
It was worth $1220 in 1922. "California Bungalow" style.
Mary was a widow in 1932, and Robert was a machinist at Sumner Iron Works that year.
In 1935, Carl and Margaret Ferry lived here.
During the 1940s, Leroy and Thelma Smith, owners of Smith's School of Music at 2823 Wetmore lived here.
By 1950 Nick Koster (fish dealer) and Mary Koster were here.
In 1952, well-known fire fighter Ted Jensen and Rose Jensen purchased the home and raised a large family.
Herbert J. Clough (1881-1972) purchased the home at 2031 Grand Ave. around 1910 and lived there with his wife, his daughters,
and some servants until moving to this new house in 1922.
In 1920 he hired Baker and Vogel to design this new large home with features such as
a hot water heating plant, modern plumbing and a large refrigerating plant.
It was built from wood directly from the Everett Lumber Mills.
Herbert had influential management jobs in the lumber industry including Secretary Treasurer of the Clough-Hartley Co,
Vice President of Hartley Shingle, Manager of the Clark-Nickerson Lumber Co,
Hama-Hama Logging Co. on the Hood Canal, the board of directors of First National Bank,
and President of the Clough Shingle Co and Clough Lumber Co.
Others living here included his wife Leonora S. Parker Ladd of Anoka, MN (1879-1965),
daughters Lorine Clough Mounce (1905-1999), Jane Clough Morse (1910-1979), and Virginia A. Clough (born 1918), and his mother Mary.
Herbert Clough was the nephew of David Marston Clough (1846-1924), a governor of Minnesota from 1895-1899.
David Clough owned some of the major mills in Everett.
Roland Hill Hartley, who became governer of Washington, married David Clough's daughter, Nina Clough (1869-1953) in 1888.
The Hartley Mansion is at 2320 Ruker.
The depression must have severely altered the Clough's financial situation.
About 1933, Clough and his wife subdivided the house into nine apartments and one residence.
He and his wife and two daughters relocated to La Jolla, CA, c. 1939, and sold the apartment building to Charles C. Chaffee.
By the 1990s the property was converted to condominiums, with eight units in the original house and two in a separate structure.
Because the local lumber used was high-quality, the building remains the same today.
Everett Public Library has vintage photo.
Per Neil Anderson: Clough-Hartley crew at mill at 18th, c. 1915-20.
Looking north, Grand Avenue Park barely visible on right in background.
Man in the middle with derby hat is most likely David Clough (my brother thinks it is O.E. Clough).
The tall lanky guy on the right hand side is Edwin "Ned" Gray of 1521 Grand.
Tragically, Ned's fingers were cut off in 1914, a common occurance during the Mill Town era.
The man left of Clough in an overcoat with hands in pockets is Newton Jones, a 14 year superintendent of the mill prior to 1922.
(He died in 1922). Jones was also the mayor of Everett, 1907-1910.
Jack O'Donnell collection
Charles Bell House (c. 1903)
This stately American Foursquare was probably built in 1903.
The first owner on record was Charles Bell from 1909-11.
This could have been a "kit" house, common in the boom years of that decade.
The Mortland family lived here from 1928-72, purchased from Dan Duryee Sr.
This park was officially named in 2013 for an Everett City Councilman, Drew Nielson.
Nielson, a lawyer who lived a block away, was a Northwest Neighborhood leader and chair of the Council of Neighborhoods.
In 2004 he was voted to the City Council and remained until his unfortunate river accident in 2012.
Originally this lot had a home which fell into disrepair?
The property was owned by the hospital since the 1960s, but was an empty lot.
Neighborhood activism, including Nielson, prevented the property from becoming a parking lot or medical building.
The neighbors leased the land from the hospital for $1 per year until it officially became a city park in 2006.
This was somewhat of a "trade" the enabled the hospital to build eastwards into the Donovan District.
A few of those 1920s Donovan homes were moved to Donovan Lane in the Delta neighborhood.
Earl Lee was a director at the YMCA.
His father was Peter Lee.
His son Peter Lee taught at Everett High School.
Washington School (1908)
Architect: James Stephen. Built by George MacKenzie for $55,000.
Washington School, bounded by Rockefeller and Oakes Avenues and 17th and 18th Streets
replaced the old 1902 18th St school on the southwest part of the block when it opened in 1908.
Northwest school architect James Stephen shortly after planned Everett High School.
The school received an addition to the east that made it the largest elementary school in the city for years.
In its last years it served as a sixth grade center before closing in 1972.
Local architect Bill Finley arranged to purchase the building in 1982 and retrofit it into a quality retirement home.
The 1950s gymnasium was removed adn two buildings were built to the north and south.
The grand opening of Washington Oakes senior housing was November 1988.
This is an example of about 160 homes that Developer
and his partner R.C. Allen built in Everett during the 1920s,
about half of which were located on Lombard, Oakes and Rockefeller between 13th and 15th.
There is a Donovan Lane in the Delta neighborhood where a number of houses were moved to allow expansion of Providence Hospital.
This Tudoresque style house is one of the last of the Donovans.
John A. "Augie" Mattson (1902-1984) and his wife Ruth (1900-1964) raised one daughter, Marlys (1934-2014).
Augie served the Everett Fire Department from 1926-1952, leaving as First Assistant Chief.
Then he became chief of the Paine Field Fire Department.
Ruth worked for a time as a clerk in a confectionary store.
Alex McLean (1907-1971) and his wife Esther (1908-1977) bought the house shortly before Mattson changed jobs/
McLean was a millworker at Everett Plywood and Door Corp.
They stayed there the rest of their lives.
During the 1970s, an additional bathroom, two bedrooms, and an office were put in the unfinished upstairs.
From 1978-2003 the house changed hands every few years until Jon and Hilary Hager purchased it.
Hilary was the leader in the neighborhood trying to block the hospital from expanding into the Donovan District.
The area near the bluffs are above ancient villages, where archeologists have found arrowheads.
More information is on the Hibulb interpretive signs.
Across the river, in 1877 the Tulalip reservation was assigned for these peoples.
The park was proposed in 1929, finally with land provided in 1932.
During the Depression, 60 acres of land was cleared by blasting the huge stumps.
The American Legion appplied to the WPA for funds in 1934, when grading, plantings, and picnic areas were made.
Oct 2, 1935 was when the American Legion transferred its title to the city.
The city built the golf course, baseball diamond, and six tennis courts with WPA and Legion money.
In 1940, Sears, Roebuck and Co. gave funds for the community center.
In 1951, 7.7 acres were donated to the Everett School District for a junior college.
The aboretum was made in 1963.
The golf course was Everett's first public course.
In the 1930s, only 343 golf courses were in the U.S., and Everett had one.
A nine-hole course opened on July 24, 1937.
By 1938 you could golf eighteen holes, par 73.
In 1953 when some land was transferred to the school district for the junior college,
holes 13, 14, 15, and 16 were affected (15 was lost completely).
After the changes, the course changed to par 72.
Built by Ron Larsen's (EHS 61) father.
Carl and June Ramstad house (1939)
The five-room house has a partial basement with sawdust burning furnace.
Everett produced plenty of sawdust during its Mill Town days.
Lee Handy house (1964)
Built by Chet Solie.
Muted red brick, slate blue cedar siding, accented with ivory shutters when this house was built.
Mary Frances Handy was 3 years old, and Susan was 8 when the family moved in.
Earl E. Meyer house (1939)
Built by Otto Rux of Lake Stevens. Draftsman was Mark Solomon. Walter Albertzard did landscaping.
The bright turquoise and gray stone rambler has Wilkenson stone around the lower half in 1958.
Mrs. Meyer enjoyed planning houses and furnishings, and hoped to do another house.
Barbara Meyer, 5 and Beverly Meyer, 9 enjoyed moving in.
Lloyd House (1940)
Percy Leigh (1901-1972) and Anna B. Lloyd were the first owners.
By 1947, Percy was manager of Lloyd Co at the
on Hewitt and Rucker.
In 1973 this house was listed as vacant.
The second owners were Cornelius and Joan Vanderwilt.
Percy's father, Irving Lloyd (1859-1944), in 1893 was the manager of the Monarch Grocery in the Mohawk Building at California and Colby.
In 1901, he was a book agent at 2710 Rucker, and in 1911 a manufacturing agent at 3208 Hoyt.
His mother, Mary Jane (1861-1935) bore five children.
Irving and Mary Lloyd incorporated the Lloyd Co. in 1914 to handle loggers and contractors supplies.
Mary is listed in 1915 working at mill supplies at 1302 Hewitt.