This is a rare "flatiron" (wedge) shaped building in Everett, due to the area between the railroad and street.
The building was used by waterfront contractor Alexander Thompson from 1907-30s,
was built for log scaler Alfred Densmore who was in it from 1907-12,
and most famously, Larry Mulligan's saloon from 1907-10.
Everett went dry in 1910, but Mulligan started it up again until statewide prohibition.
Soon after, Prohibition was the law throughout the U.S.
As soon as it was over, in 1933, it became the Anchor Tavern.
The land slopes downhill, and the floors of each space stepped down to compensate.
The western portion was built in 1906, the middle in early 1907 and eastern later that year.
The window and door openings are altered.
Dilgard & Riddle research for DAHP
Walter J. Requa's store was here from 1915-1937.
Later it was the Cow Butter store,
then Everett Tent and Awning (a company since 1892 that still exists),
then Cornelius Quist's Everett Marine Sales and Service for thirty years,
then Everett Mower and Saw (when it was remodeled in 1978).
Dilgard & Riddle research for DAHP
Also addressed as 2902-10 Rucker.
Architect: Morrison & Stimson.
Contractor: C.W. Kelley for A.H.B. Jordan.
At this time there were several Mission Revival buildings like this in Everett,
such as the Elks Building, the courthouse, and the milk plant on Broadway and 25th.
Built for $40,000 for A.H.B. Jordan, it was leased to J.O. Fisher for a Dodge dealership.
For decades it was an automobile dealership, including Walsh Platt Motors.
See Everett Daily News, Sept 15, 1929.Dilgard & Riddle research for DAHP
This Italianate style building was completed in the midst of the Silver Panic.
Though it was commissioned by Thornton Goldsby in 1893, construction was delayed because of the 1893 depression.
The first floor was roofed over in 1893, then a second floor built the next year.
The ground floor was leased to the luxurious Tontine Saloon and a restaurant.
The upper story opened as the Marion Hotel, an enterprise that lasted until the early 30's.
In 1910, Everett went dry, and the ground floor became a hardware store.
Lloyd's Hardware was here for over fifty years.
Why Greenberg name?
This three-story building with light brown brick has lost its cornice (and "dragon" adournment)
but retains fine original architectural style.
Original features at the first story on the east facade show the "rustication" formed by insetting every seventh row of brick.
A stone belt course at the sill line of the second story distinguishes the tall base of the building from the upper stories.
At the upper portion, tall pilasters capped by brick arches form window openings,
with brick spandrels inset below the third-story windows.
Tripartite wood windows are set into relatively deep window openings.
Built for $30,000, it was occupied by Burnett Bros. Jewelers from 1932 into the 1990s.
This two-story corner building has been stuccoed over on the second floor.
It was constructed for Francis H. Brownell from Rhode Island, the first lawyer in Everett.
His business largely consisted of commercial and corporate law.
The building was later occupied by Brodeck Clothing Company and Fisher's Shoe Store.
Pacific Hardware Company was in the building from 1928 to 1930, followed by Helen Davis Shop (women's furnishings),
H & L Sport Store, Gwynne's Family Shoe Store, and Wold Men's Shop.
Peoples National Bank/US Bank (1959)
This Modern bank is on a corner where north and west facades feature glass curtain walls with Roman brick on the east and south.
In 1987, Peoples National Bank became US Bank.
Some interior work on this building listed the architect Osterman Associates.
Kinney & Sipprell (c.1921)
Kinnel & Sipprell was a music store from 1922-32,
Rogers Business School on the second floor from 1922-39,
Quam & Baldwin real estate from 1922-39,
Everett Savings and Loan from 1925-37.
Dilgard & Riddle research
Apollo Theater (1915)
This relatively tall, one-story brick building opened as the Hayes Theater on December 20, 1915.
Two years later it was transformed into the Apollo Theater, which was a major downtown movie theater for a decade,
closing June 19, 1927.
In 1932 it was the Central Cigar Store.
The building has a simple storefront system and is characterized by its multi-light transom panels
and projecting sheet metal cornice with dentil band below.
The multi-light transom continues from the primary east facade around to the alley facade on the north, a unique detail.
Riley Block (1911)
William N. Riley, of Riley-Cooley Shoes, was here until 1917.
Murray Shoe Store took over until 1923.
From the 1930s-50s this building was called the Hansen Building,
then called the Turf Building.
From the 1930s it was a restaurant, and the Turf Beer Parlor, card room and cafe from 1950-66.
Dilgard & Riddle research
Central Building (1925)
Architects: Morrison & Stimson.
This six-story building is finished with light brown brick and cream terra cotta with Gothic Revival details.
The tall first story forms a base and is clad with cream terra cotta.
The main body of the building is faced with light brown brick in running bond and features pilasters between pairs of windows.
Above the sixth-story windows is a wide band of encrusted terra cotta.
Capping each pilaster is additional Gothic detailing, including terra cotta finials that project above the brick parapet.
The upper-story windows are non-original.
Constructed for approximately $150,000, it was typically occupied by
dentists, lawyers, insurance agents, and other professionals.
National Register building. Architect: Benjamin F. Turnbull.
This five-story building is located on the NE corner of Hewitt and Rockefeller Avenues.
Constructed for the Bank of Commerce, it was claimed to be fireproof.
Early acccounts boast of good light in the offices due to its semi-U shape.
Apparently, Rockefeller Ave was paved shortly before this building was erected.
The fifth floor was originally intended to be a school -- which ended up being the Everett Business School.
Architect Turnbull had an office here from 1910-27.
The building cost $100,000, per Herald of Jan 25, 1910.
In 1910, the Everett Women's Suffrage Club met when Washington extended the vote to women.
This was a decade before the 19th Amendment.
The primary south and west facades are characterized by a tripartite composition of base, shaft, and cap,
with the base formed by the first story, the shaft by stories two through four,
and the cap consisting of the fifth story plus a prominent cornice with decorative brackets.
The building is faced with light brown pressed brick.
Windows are paired between pilasters and have large wood pivot sash with a glazed transom above.
Single windows at each end have a brick jack arch above.
Hodges Building (1923)
Architect: Benjamin Turnbull; builder: Howard S. Wright.
This is a key building, at one of the most important intersections in the city.
Three of the four corners at this intersection have tall historic buildings.
It was constructed for owner H.C. Hodges, and the last major Everett building designed by Turnbull.
Note Turnbull's other building across the street.
The first story of five is concrete, with storefronts at the north (Hewitt Ave) facade.
Upper stories are faced with white brick and a prominent sheet metal cornice.
Prior to its conversion to apartments, city directories indicate tenants such as
dentists, chiropractors, watch repair, real estate agents, beauty shops occupied the offices.
Horseshoe Saloon (1909-1910)
The first Horseshoe Saloon was from 1902.
After it burned on August 2, 1909,
bottling works proprieter A. L. Van Valey had the building reconstructed in 1910,
and later that year a Local Option prohibiting liquor sales was passed, following by the state dry law.
By 1933, when liquor became legal again, the building was occupied by the Eagle Club Room (card room),
in place until 1950.
And that's when the name returned to Horseshoe Saloon.
Note the name in hexagon tiles in the sidewalk.
This two-story brick commercial building has a storefront at the first story and a band of five windows at the second story.
The first story has been altered but the building is characterized by end pilasters (at the outer edges of the facade);
decorative narrow wood pilasters between the second-story windows; a line of corbelling above the windows;
and by the tall, shaped brick parapet with cast stone coping.
Fobes Building (1901-1902)
Architect/Builder: Howard S. Wright, contr.
At the first story are two storefronts, each with a central flush entry and transom band above.
Between the two storefronts is an entry that serves stairs up to the second floor.
A cornice band separates the first and second stories.
The second story features a row of eight tall, narrow rectangular window openings.
Each opening contains a one-over-one-light double-hung wood window with glazed transom above.
Finish materials are tan and grey brick, and the windows have stone sills.
Corbelling above the windows provides a cap to the facade.
Long-term early tenants included the White Company (notions outlet) and Childs and Christiansen Hardware.
Later occupants included a shoe store, cycle and key shop, and sporting goods.
In more recent years, the upstairs was called Rockefeller Place, 1982-86.
Star Theater (1909)
The original mosaic tilework entryway greeted movie house guests.
Investor W. G. Swalwell had it built, and leased it to Alexander Singelow, an early newsreel cameraman in the region.
Singelow operated a movie house until June 19, 1927, when it was converted to a Castle Drug which served into the 1940s.
Occupied by Granstrom Sporting Goods (1955 to 1971).
See Everett Tribune Sept 26, 1909, Herald Nov 26, 1909 and March 20, 1913.
Watson's Bakery (1910)
This two-story building is finished with light orange pressed brick.
A projecting cornice with dentils beneath it caps the building.
Early tenants include the Chicago Outfitting Company and Hotel Savoy.
By 1932 the building was occupied by Quality Food Market (meats), Watson's Bakery and Delicatessen, and Merchants Hotel.
Watson's Bakery remained into the 1950s.
McCrossen Building (1894)
Tragically, this building and one life was lost in a fire in late 2012.
Forty people were displaced who lived here.
The brick commercial block included extensive brick corbelling above the windows.
Built for local grocers Thayer and McCrossen, the building briefly served as a post office in the 1890s.
Brick was supplied by the Everett Electric Brick Company.
Occupants over the years include Everett Parlor Furniture Manufacturing Company, Sherman Louis (clothing),
Manila Hotel, and Jack's Menswear.
McCrossen's name and the year 1894 was prominently displayed on the upper facade.
Whitehouse Public Market / Dolloff Building (1923)
Operated as the Whitehouse Public Market into the 1930s, a 1933 water permit identifies it as the Oakes Avenue Market.
In the 1950s it was occupied by Dolloff Motor Company (used car division) and the storefronts were remodeled.
The building now represents an intact remodel from the 1950s.
Van Winkles Interiors moved in 1973 and occupies the building today.
Sharpless Barber (ca. 1902)
The western storefront has been altered with a more contemporary aluminum storefront system.
The Sharpless family was here for many years.
Later, it was a restaurant, clothing store shoemaker, and tailor.
In the 1930s the building was occupied by a restaurant.
Everett Sport Store (card room) was located in the building by 1941 and later became Everett Sportmen.
Evergreen Building (1902)
Everett Register building.
This building was put up by the Mitchells, who also had the Mitchell hotel across the alley built.
This brick building features a south facade composed of a wood storefront system at the first story
and faced with cream brick at the second story.
Occupants have included the Sam Sturman clothing store, Love's Grocery, shoe stores and the Evergreen Tavern.
Mitchell Hotel / Cascadia Apartments (1903)
Architect: A. F. Heide.
The three-story building is prominently located on the northwest corner of Hewitt and Lombard Avenues.
Spiderweb art glass tronsoms remain above some of the storefronts.
As the major hotel in the city for two decades, it was designed for William and L.J. Mitchell,
owners of the Mitchell Lumber Company of Everett, during the recovery from the 1893 depression.
The building was planned as a six-story building and equipped with elevator service (which operates today).
The 76 guest rooms contained modern conveniences and were furnished luxuriously.
Engravings displayed in the corridors were from the personal collection of the Mitchell brothers.
The upper stories are currently occupied by apartments.
This hotel eclipsed the first Monte Cristo hotel from 1892, and it became Providence Hospital when the Mitchell was more popular.
When the Monte Cristo Hotel was built in 1925, at Wall and Hoyt, this hotel lost its status as Everett's finest.
This building is hard to recognize from its turn-of-the 20th century look.
Originally the O.H. Gunhus hardware store, it had the National Hotel on the upper floor.
In 1914, it was the Some Paint store, while the building just east was a drug store.
By 1920 it was Curran Hardware.
In the 1930s and 40s it was Safeway, and by 1950 St. Vincent de Paul.
At some point, the facade included the building to the east, formerly 2017 Hewitt.
However, the fire separation wall stands between the two to this day.
End of walking tour
We hope you enjoyed your walking tour of the Hewitt Ave!
For more tours, see Historic Everett walking tours.
Write us below if you have comments, more history, or questions.