This house was built at 1902 Lombard.
The lot was split and the house shifted back to the alley.
The front door was moved to the 19th street side.
The dormers and bay windows are gone.
The 1902 Lombard one sees there now, was built on the open foundation, perhaps in 1914.
Sanborn maps indicate the house may have been moved between 1914 and 1955, when the maps were redrawn.
There are no water and sewer records for new 1902, apparently since the foundation already had them from long before.
The city's water records for the first 1902 show the name Rucker Brothers, at Nassau and Hewitt, as owners.
Dave Ramstad research
Fred Harlan was a wireman at Everett Railway, Light and Water Co. (the trolley company among others).
William Cleaver (born 1871) owned a successful dry goods and ladies clothing store
at Hewitt and Rockefeller Avenues, and was director of the Everett Chamber of Commerce.
He moved to Port Clinton, Ohio from Hanover, Germany at age 14.
Some architectural features of this Shingle style house may reflect his heritage.
After working as a clerk in Butte, Montana from 1895-97, he moved to Washington state.
After a few years in Spokane and Oakesdale, he moved to Everett in January, 1902.
The house was sold just a few years after it was built to H.J. Clough.
He was president of the Clark-Nickerson Co, one of Everett's large sawmills
with 300 employees.
He was also president of the Barnet Lumber Co. in Canada, the Clough Lumber Company in Stanwood,
the Clough Shingle Company in Everett, and the Hama-Hama Logging Company on Hoods Canal.
Total for all these companies was 685 men.
He was also on the board of directors of First National Bank.
Clough was one of the strongest individual forces in the development of Washington's great lumber instrury.
Beginning in the 1920s, the house was owned by Clayton M. Williams, attorney and first president of the Rotary Club.
He was in it for a couple decades.
Later on, the house was broken up into apartments.
In recent years, Craig and Carolyn Parker restored it back to a single family home.
The house is on the Everett Register of Historic Places.
The Shingle style was popular between the 1880s and 1900, with a few examples up to 1910.
It was a uniquely American adaptation of other traditions,
mostly a high-fashion architect's style rather than widely adapted to vernacular housing.
John F. (teamster) and Sophie M Sittig lived here a short time when the house was new.
Apparently he kept two horses in the front yard.
Paul F. (gardner) and Mary Shlessger lived here 1928-38. Their daughter Lillian Shlessger was a stenographer.
John A. (millworker, logger, electrician) and Agnes C. Wenzlick lived here 1938-56.
David Clough house (1900)
David M. Clough, who was governor in Minnesota and a lumberman there, moved to Everett.
He owned the Everett Logging Company, Clark-Nickerson Mill, and the Clough-Hartley Mill on the Everett waterfront.
He and wife Addie, moved here in 1905.
Roland Hartley (later a governor of WA) and family boarded here from 1905-08.
The house was vacant for about ten years in the 1920s, then converted to apartments.
See 1907 Coast magazine for picture.
Marlborough Apartments (1912)
This elegant apartment building displays classical lines and exceptional craftsmanship.
It shows the possibilities for density while maintaining open space and an orientation to the street and the neighborhood.
It was often the home of teachers and retired prominent citizens,
such as William Swalwell.
This house was built for Goddard as an investment property, together with 2115 and 2121 Rucker.
These are all classic American Foursquare homes.
John J. Clark House ().
Designed by A.F. Heide
Built for the prominent businessman J.J. Clark.
Clark was one of the founders of Everett and highly regarded, and president of Clark Clothing Co.
His family lived here from 1895-1922.
Clark's name is immortalized by the downtown park.
Dorcas Clark took over management of Clark Investment Co. when her father died.
A formal Queen Anne house with asymmetrical composition and a variety of roof styles, but free of ornamentation.
In 1927 the house was converted to apartments.
W.P. Bell/Elm house (1898)
This was the home of Walter P. Bell, wife Lillian (Blackman) Bell, and children Doris, Winnifred, Mary and Harold.
Bell was a prominent attorney, and a partner with Austin.
The family occupied the house thru the 1930’s at least.
Much later this became the Elm House Apartments.
Governer Roland H and Nina Hartley Mansion (1910)
Governer Roland Hartley
Note: Some sources claim this is a 1911 house.
Roland Hartley immigrated from Canada to Wisconsin, where he worked with mill owner David Clough (who became governor of Wisconsin).
He married Clough's daughter, Nina Clough.
The Clough's lumber mill in Wisconsin provided ties for the Great Northern Railroad, who needed a western source as the line expanded west.
So the Cloughs moved to Everett in 1900 and started the Clark-Nickerson Mill.
The Hartleys followed in 1902.
The started the Clough Hartley Cedar Siding and Shake Mill.
By 1910, Hartley was mayor of Everett.
The Hartleys moved to this house in 1911.
He became a state senator and served two terms as Washington governor.
Everett Neurological Center
After the Hartleys passed away, the house became a nursing home.
Dr. Sanford Wright, neurosurgeon, purchased the house for his practice and restored it with the help of his father Sanford Wright Sr.
This elaborate mansion has a ballroom on the third floor where many piano recitals have occured in recent years.
The garage has a turnstile to enable the car to be turned around and driven out front forward.
Madrona Apartments (1923)
In 1923, the Herald reported this new apartment as "one of the finest structures of its kind...
every modern device known in apartment houses, remarkable economy of space and a sense of being finished in every detail
and designed for comfort and conveniences mark the design and construction of the building."
Vernacular adaptation of Tudor-apartment architectural style.
Classical portico with Corinthian columns supporting an ornate balcony with French doors.
This church replaced the smaller 1892 church at California and Wetmore that was built in 1892.
This church's cornerstone was laid down just prior to the start of WWI.
When the First World War began, work was halted as the working men of Snohomish County and many of its clergy went off
to join the war effort.
When the war was over, the building was completed in 1921 and dedicated as a WWI Victory Memorial
to the brave men and women of Snohomish County (including members of the parish) who had given their lives during the war.
It was dedicated on Trinity Sunday in 1921 by Rev. Edgar Martin Rogers.
It is a replica of St. Andrew’s Church in Scotland in a tradition of classic church architecture
Pastor Rachel Taber-Hamilton research
The stained glass above the altar, on the east wall, is by Charles Connick of Boston.
It is said that during transport of the glass to Everett, it was displayed in many cities.
Connick's studio produced glass in a traditional Arts and Crafts way, and was one of the most famous in America.
His stained glass is in thousands of churches, including St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York and numerous other cathedrals.
A contemporary of Tiffany, he prefered the style of medieval stained glass such as Chartres Cathedral, France, where he studied the art.
In 2010, a pipe organ was installed containing some pipes from a 1915 Möller from Spokane, and many pipes from a 1971 organ also in Spokane.
It has three manuals, 4 divisions, 41 stops using 1619 pipes.
Rogers Hall, behind the offices just south of the church building, is named for Rev. Edgar Rogers.
He arrived in 1911 and was pastor until 1941.
It was through his efforts that the church was built.
Rogers Hall was completed in 1961, and has a large athletic court on the main floor that's now used for large gatherings.
Below is a fallout shelter with meeting rooms, an choir room, and classrooms.
The office just south of the church was built in 1967.
About that time, the narthex that connects the office to the church and hall buildings was constructed,
using similar architectural features as the 1911 church.
Inside the narthex, you can see the south wall of the church.
Our Savior's Lutheran Church (1924)
Architect: Andrew Willatsen, a student of Frank Lloyd Wright.
Built by Charles Solie for $40,000.
Four lots were purchased by Our Savior's Evangelical Lutheran Church from Mrs. Emma Leonard for $6500,
as mentioned in the July 7, 1923 Herald.
At the time, Our Savior's had the oldest church building in Everett, on Lombard between Hewitt and Wall
(now the location of the Everett Events Center).
Pastor Norgaard was the first pastor in the new church, remaining there for a long time.
An Italianate structure, owned by the Everett School District since 1967 and now used for drama productions at Everett High School.
OSLC moved to SW Everett, Dogwood and Mukilteo Blvd.
2404 Hoyt: Charles Spriesterbach house (1905).
Designed by prominent architect Benjamin F. Turnbull, this house has interesting lead glass windows.
GONE: Immaculate Conception Church (1904-1966)
When Our Lady of Perpetual Help
in Riverside outgrew its facilities, this church was built, Reverend H.P. Saindon in charge.
(In 1994, the two churches recombined.)
The new church was built in 1967.
Its interior design was affected by the changes of Vatican II a few years before.
Father Francis Jones, Immaculate's second pastor, was in charge when this school was built.
First United/Westminster Presbyterian (1929)
Built for $12,000 (including the parsonage).
United Prebyterian started Oct 14, 1900 with missionary pastor L.K. Lanning.
In 1901 they decided to build a permanent church at Everett and 2701 Colby,
finished in 1902 and remained until the 1928 when Sears bought the site for $40,000.
That's the time this church was built
2610 Hoyt: Henry Raborn house (1892).
Owned by a prominent contractor, the Queen Anne style house is graced with turrets, circular bays, a complex roofline
with steeply pitched gables, a decorative porch and shingle siding.
Raborn House (1892)
First Swedish Baptist/Bethel Baptist Church (1913)
Organized in August 1901 by 14 members who used a tent at the YMCA lot.
Rev G.A. Osbrink led the congregation when they built a sanctuary 1902 which held 150 people.
A fine example of American Foursquare design, inspired by the Prairie Style made popular by Frank Lloyd Wright.
A.L. Van Valey owned a bottling company in Everett, which bottled 7UP and Rainier beer amongst other beverages.
Built for $5000.
The Van Valeys hosted recitals, readings and civic group meetings.
Van Valey's company went out of business.
Later it was a restaurant and Red Cross offices.
It became a day care and elderly care facility.
Ed and Betty Morrow purchased it in 1979, and donated it to the city of Everett in 2002.
2215 Colby: Sam Nichols house (1909).
Born in Massachusetts, Nichols was one of the original 23 founding fathers of Everett when he arrived in 1892.
He was active in local politics, from councilman to chairman of te Republican County Committee.
As Seretary of State, a position he held until 1909, he was a great promoter of Washington State.
His home is an excellent example of the bungalow style: bracketed gable ends, medium pitched gable roof with shed dormers
and overhanging eaves, and leaded glass windows on the second floor add a decorative touch.
Everett Civic Auditorium
Everett High School (1910)
Architect: James Stephen. Built by Jenkins and Jones for $200,000.Ol
The pride of the Everett School District was the new Everett High School which opened Jan 31, 1910.
The trhee-story Beaux Arts brick structure cost nearly $200,000 and could house 600 students.
Constructed on an entire city block, it was designed by James Stephen who had also designed Washington School.
Jenkins and Jones were the primary contractors.
Note the white brick, and terra cotta entrance arches, window trim, and cornices.
The historic entry was retained with wide corridors, generous stairs and a series of focal public space.
The building is surrounded by an open lawn, arch sidewalks and formal tree plantings that reinforce the formality of the architecture.
The building came at the end of a decade of growth that saw Everett's population triple.
It was followed by the Vocational and Commercial buildings across the street, 1912 and 1915 respectively.
Both were designed by Everett's Benjamin Turnbull.
In 1940 the Civic Auditorium, designed by Earl Morrison, replaced the old Lincoln School.
Bell Court Apartments (1909)
This was the first apartment building in Everett.
It was built by James Elizah Bell, president of the Lumberman's Association.
Bell travelled throughout the Orient arranging business connections and shipping facilities.
He also ran lumber and mill companies.
He started the Model Stables Transfer and Storage Company in the livery stables on Grand Avenue, now the Public Market.
Jennie and John Samuels and their son Wesley, lived here from about 1900 to early 1950’s.
Son J. Wesley Samuels graduated from Everett High School in 1912.
The Samuels were an African-American family.
For many years, the Samuels house was listed in a travel publication known as the Green Book, a travel guide for African- Americans.
The Samuels residence was listed as a tourist home for black motorists where black travelers could find accommodations.
See Herald article.
John Samuels is listed in Polk Directories as a cook in 1901, and a porter for the Great Northern Railway in 1902.
In 1907 he is listed as a janitor in the Wisconsin Building.
He died in 1952.
Jennie was active in forming the Washington State Chapter of the National Association of Colored Women’s Clubs during the 1920’s.
She died in 1948.
Their son J. Wesley (1891-1954) was a WWI veteran who served overseas in France.
The 1912 Everett High School Nesika stated that "W stands for Wesley, with voice low and deep, if he sang a sad song, he could make one weep.".
Wesley began work as a clerk at Bayside Ironworks after high school.
In 1920 he was a bookkeeper for Bayside Ironworks.
By 1925 he was accountant with American Boiler Works of Everett.
By 1933, he advanced to the position of Company Secretary for American Boiler Works in Everett.
Wesley’s grandfather, Alford Samuels, was a civil war veteran serving with Union forces and buried at Evergreen Cemetery.
He died in 1903.
2504 Wetmore: (1908).
A beatifully restored Craftsman house that had a colorful list of residents.
The Rumbaugh family owned a large elegant department store at Wetmore and California.
The MacLain family bought the Cole Brothers Circus.
Janice and Brian Schenck restored the home from a photo from 1908.
The houses on this block are long gone, now in the central business district.
Here is one of the early Everett wooden churches.
The Zion Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church started meeting in 1900 at the YMCA.
They erected this in 1902.
In the early 1940s they changed the name to Calvary Lutheran Church.
1915 photo at EPL.
First Congregational Church
In 1893, layman J.U. Judd headed up a group to start this congregation at a school room at 2915 Maple.
Rev. T.W. Butler started that first year.
They built a modest church south of Hewitt on Cedar St. in 1895, in use until 1906 when the second was built.
The third church dates from mid-century.
Central Lutheran Church (1926)
Architect: Benjamin Turnbull.
This congregation was organized in late 1904 as Ebenezer United Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church.
When they began meeting in a store at California and Broadway, all preaching, singing and Sunday school was in Norwegian.
There was a wood framed church at this corner about 1906.
In 1913, they changed their services to English.
By 1919 the name was changed to Ebenezer English Lutheran Church.
This sanctuary was dedicated Oct 17, 1926 and renamed Central Lutheran Church.
The original wood framed church was moved to the NE corner of 25th and Lombard
-- it's still there.
Architect: Bebb and Gould (Seattle). Built for $15,000.
Bellingham's Rev. T.A. Schoenberg organized this congregation in 1904.
Before that, all Lutherans in Everett worshipped in either German, Swedish or Norwegian.
In 1927, this was the first church to broadcast radio services in Everett.
In June 1929, a grand Moller pipe organ was installed for $3500.
The three floor western wing was added in 1955.
Clark Park (1894)
This park was named in 1931 for John Clark, a popular city founder, who had died in 1922.
Starting in 1893, there was a depression nearly as bad as the Great Depression.
But Everett voters had the foresight to create this park in July of 1894.
The land cost the city $21,345.
Thus the first park in Everett, called City Park, was spawned.
The park had few facilities or improvements during the early years.
In 1921, the bandstand designed by architect Benjamin F. Turnbull was designed.
Everett residents enjoyed band concerts from 1920 (before the grandstand was built) through the 1960s.
In 1927, tennis courts were built, and lighted in 1935.
By 1938 there were four tennis courts, two volleyball courts, a softball diamond, and checkers court.
In 1946, Clark Park was designated as the only city park where political and religious gatherings were allowed.
In 1954 the tennis courts were resurfaced for dancing and roller skating.
By 1979, concerts had waned, and the bandstand was demolished.
In 1981, the western half of the park was transfered to the School District, where six tennis courts were built.
A civil war cannon that was in the park is now stored in a building in Legion Park.
Immanual Lutheran Church (1949)
Architect: William A. Johnson (1862-1943). Built for $11,000.
A church for Everett Lutherans of German descent, this church organized in 1901 under Rev. H.C. Eberling from Snohomish.
They first met at the Norwegian Lutheran Church at 2928 Lombard Ave.
In 1904, they built a frame strcutre at the NE corner of 26th and Lombard costing $2600.
Originally it was called the First German Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Hours after the attack on Pearl Harbor, Dec 7, 1941, the congregation voted to stop worshipping in German.
This church, at the same site, was dedicated July 24, 1949.